Self-Blue Cochin Bantams

Pics
Figured I'd post here too... just in case.

I've decided to get out of the self blues in preference to a couple other (recognized) varieties, so am offering my self blue breeding pen and chicks for sale.

The breeding pen consists of a pair of black/self blues (sq) and one self blue hen from a well known breeder. These birds were all hatched last year and should be ready to get back to business once they stop moulting and trying to be broody.

I also have 2 chicks - about 6 weeks old - from this pen (not sure who the momma is), that i believe to be a pair as well.

I don't ship, sorry. I'm located near Roanoke VA.

here are some pics. i'm keeping one of the black girls. sorry i don't have any current pics of the chicks, i dropped my camera today.
87be9a71_sbcochinpen.jpeg

b8eec480_blacksb4.25.12.jpeg

d86e18fb_familyportrait7.jpeg

Last edited:
Craig,
I just shipped a pair of SB's and a pair of Blacks to a fellow in GA and he's going to work on them. Likewise, I am sending at least a couple males to Doddie Truedson in a couple weeks so we'll have some on the West Coast. Linda Blackman has expressed interest and I plan to get some to her in January. I've tried to ensure that I've let them go to breeders willing to work on the color, because ultimately I would like to have a qualifying meet in a few years. I might show a group of them at Springfield just so they are seen in the showhall.

Tom

This a bad picture and his feet are dirty but he definately has yellow feet.

Here are a couple pics of my pullets. I am not happy at all with their feather quality.

St. Ignace, gateway to the beautiful UP
smile.png
- here is the view out my office window.

Is that the primary issue with feather problems associated with self-blues? Is it something that you can select away from, or is it more a multi-gene problem where it is harder to eliminate? I had some self-blue bantam Ams last summer and they had very nice feathering fortunately.

Back
Top Bottom