self feather picking?

cvchickenmama

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Carmel Valley
I have a 3 year old RIR hen that has reciently showed up with no neck feathers in the front. The skin is red and irritated. My husband said he thought he caught her in the act of picking on her own neck. This is one of our favorite hens who is very tame and likes to sit on our lap. In the last 3 months we have increased the size of the flock. However, they have plently of space and often free range. Has anyone ever heard of a chicken picking her own neck feathers? How can I get her to quit?

I have a R-I-R who's neck is bare too. Looks real silly. But mine is from rubbing against the wire in the run when she sees someone coming. Can't do anything about it to get her to stop so I just leave it alone.

Now a few days ago I witnessed something extrodinary.

It was a hot lazy Saturday afternoon. All the hens were dusting, snoozing or just standing around. One EE was zoning out looking out from my porch. My littlest RIR was standing on the ground a few inches below her and reached up and gently started PECKING HER NECK. The EE didn't seem to mind, in fact she closed her eyes. The RIR went on for about 45 seconds and only when she started going after something a little harder did the EE wake up and come out of her trance. It looked like whatever the RIR had been doing had put the EE to sleep!

Have you checked for mites or lice? Could be she is trying to rid herself of them.

Back
Top Bottom