Self Feeding

Lorraine Perth

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 21, 2014
Perth Western Australia
I have just got a treadle feeder for my girls. Any tips on getting them used to it? I was also told be someone that I shouldn't allow them access to their feed all day as they will get fat as they won't stop eating. I haven't noticed this yet as they have just started using the feeder.

I would start by propping open the lid so that neither the treadle nor the cover can move when the chickens are feeding. Leave it that way for a week so they learn that their food is located inside. Then I'd make it so the treadle and the cover can move just a little bit so they get used to the movement when they step on the treadle. Prop it about 3/4's of the way open and leave it that way for a few days or so. Gradually make so they have to open it further to get to the feed. Good luck!

I have just got a treadle feeder for my girls. Any tips on getting them used to it? I was also told be someone that I shouldn't allow them access to their feed all day as they will get fat as they won't stop eating. I haven't noticed this yet as they have just started using the feeder.
I'll be interested to see how long it takes for your chickens to get used to the treadle feeder as I'm considering buying one for my chooks.

They have been using it for 5 days now and I have it half open and they all are used to standing on the treadle to fully open it and feed. I put a thin piece of rubber under the treadle as they were put off by the noise it made on the cement slab I have the feeder on and no problems now. I tried today to close it down and they aren't ready yet so I let you know how long it takes. The best part about it is how clean it is and no rodents get to the feed as I close it down at night. Cant wait for the rain to check out if it is whether proof

HI
The girls got used to the treadle feeder in 3 weeks. That is they now have the lid closed and open it themselves when they want to feed. 2 weeks 1/2 open 1 week 1/4 open. Yipee!!! such an easy and clean way to feed

Back
Top Bottom