Self-regulation for grit/food/oyster shell

Amylynn007

Chirping
May 2, 2020
NW Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone!

First-time chicken mama here! I am just blown away by the fact that chickens are able to self-regulate, especially when it comes to grit and oyster shell. Can anyone explain this? It must just be how they're wired, but I was hoping someone possibly had a more scientific explanation for it. Thanks!

Thank you, I love that website! I'm really trying to find the "how" they self-regulate, though. For instance, I do not know when I have had too much calcium for the day, so how does a chicken know?
Sorry. I guess maybe if it’s on the food then they will just eat till they’re not hungry anymore.

It's a good question, especially since I'm used to dogs and horses that will literally eat themselves sick...My guess is that since chickens evolved as foragers, they are used to eating little bits of different sorts of stuff, so they won't gorge on any one thing? But I am definitely not an expert, this is just a guess!

It's a good question, especially since I'm used to dogs and horses that will literally eat themselves sick...My guess is that since chickens evolved as foragers, they are used to eating little bits of different sorts of stuff, so they won't gorge on any one thing? But I am definitely not an expert, this is just a guess!

Thanks! I agree, it must have to do with the fact that they're foragers. I wish I could find a scientific explanation, like "it's this part of their brain" or something!

Thank you, I love that website! I'm really trying to find the "how" they self-regulate, though. For instance, I do not know when I have had too much calcium for the day, so how does a chicken know?
I remember my mom who is a nurse, telling me that food cravings are often associated with nutrient deficiencies. Like craving chocolate could be low magnesium and so on. Also feeling hungrier than normal could be a sign of a deficiency. Has to do with the body's natural effort to try and get you to eat what's needed. Chickens might be similar?

Back
Top Bottom