Self-treating 7yo dog with stomach ulcer is getting worse

What to do now? Besides take her to a vet. (We have taken her in maybe 5x since March, and all they've done is waste our $.)

Have you had an x-ray done? We were treating my old Border Collie mix for an eating issue. We changed foods, tried meds, did all sorts of things. A single, simple x-ray turned up a nasty mass in his throat and stomach. The poor old man had stomach cancer. I wish we had done that x-ray earlier. It would have saved him a world of silent suffering.

We put him down that day. It was so hard, but it was the right thing to do. Six months later, I still have a Border Collie shaped hole in my heart. It'll probably be there for the rest of my life.

Please keep us posted on your furbaby,

And Rest in Peace, my dear, sweet Tag.

Oh - and she isn't vomiting because she's eating grass, she's eating grass because instinct tells her that she needs to vomit. I know that sounds backwards, but what it boils down to is that her stomach hurts. A lot. Poor baby.
Good Luck - and please keep us posted.

Maybe she is one of those dogs that has developed a food allergy? Can't tolerate gluten or something? Maybe go with a grain free food and see if there is a difference... Because I guess you probably can't feed her pheasant and rice forever...

A food allergy would have other signs by this time. Is her coat thinning? Does she have dry, flaking "dandruff" along her spine? Does she have a rash or tiny bumps anywhere? Especially check on the bare skin at her "elbows" inside her front legs and in the soft skin between her back ones. If it's a food allergy, you'll most likely see at least one, maybe all, of those signs. If you don't, you're probably dealing with an internal, medical condition - and she needs another (sorry!) vet visit.

ID is a terrific diet, unless there's a problem with an ingredient sensitivity. Those of us playing 'Dr. Google' cant' fix your dog's problem! I also think that more needs to happen, so here's what I'm thinking;
Ultrasound evaluation by an expert
Xrays
Food trial for ingredient sensitivities
Don't let her eat that grass!
Mary

ID is a terrific diet, unless there's a problem with an ingredient sensitivity. Those of us playing 'Dr. Google' cant' fix your dog's problem! I also think that more needs to happen, so here's what I'm thinking;
Ultrasound evaluation by an expert
Xrays
Food trial for ingredient sensitivities
Don't let her eat that grass!
Mary

Please do your research on foods. Anything hills science diet or royal canine is crap. There is no questions about it. Again please do research it--not even saying take my word for it.

request an X-ray, then an ultra sound. I would go to a completely different vet.

At this point, this is NOT a simple food issue! Playing around with foods may give short-term relief, but will not remove the problem. The best it can do is prolong her pain.

The question about meds is a good one. Did you give your dog any meds recently? Did you change her heartworm or flea meds? Some dogs are allergic (but then you should see the allergy signs.)

Call a vet. Request just an x-ray, first. Who knows what she may have eaten - a small toy, a bottle cap ... a sock. If an x-ray shows nothing, then consider an MRI.

One step at a time, but at this point, they need to be bigger steps than just playing with food.

I don't see any miracle ingredients in Hills ID food and it is full of multiple types of grain... Just like most other dog foods... I did see a big price tag though...You buying that from the Vet? (Vets make a lot of money off of selling specialty foods and acting as their own pharmacy). If your dog has a food sensitivity probably the only way you will find out is with an elimination diet. If she is doing alright with rice and meat, keep her on rice and some kind of meat or other for a week and see how she does. The meat part is unlikely to be the problem, so you can use hamburger, chicken livers, whatever you can find for cheap. If she is doing ok after a week, you can try a grain free sweet potato base food maybe.

Back
Top Bottom