Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Pics
This past week I have been able to get quite a bit done updating the little chicken coop to be able to sufficiently house my ducks.

Originally it was a dog kennel with hardware cloth attached to the bottom, with an apron, and chicken wire attached above. It housed one of those cutsie, pootsie, not big enough prefab coops. Last year, I began updating it, removing two sides of the kennel panels and enclosing an area for roosting and building nest boxes. It has worked wonderfully for my 12 little pullets.

So, this week, I have removed more panels (it was larger than a 10x10, so more panels than 4) added bracing and more walls (of tin, wood, and HC). I removed all the old wire and replaced it entirely with HC. I still have one 10’ section to do.

I also built a Dutch door for the coop to replace the old kennel gate. Building something that is square to be attached to something that’s not so square is no easy feat...but it works. I went ahead and added bracing to the door to be able to install a pop door later on. Those things are indispensable.

Here is a picture of it so far. The two open slots on the front (north side facing my house) are windows. The boards are hinged allowing one to raise up and one to lower. At present there are two more windows, one on the west (right) side and one on the south (back) side that wrap around the roosting area and nest boxes. These windows are covered with HC.
71E6D31E-C815-46B9-ABB0-72C6B7BDD29A.jpeg

I did not have enough of a roof overhang to adequately cover the west window (where the roost is) to protect the chickens, so I added an old awning that my DS gave me when he updated an old house he bought. It doesn’t necessarily keep with the “rustic” design of my coops and run, but it works. One day I may remove it and extend the roofline a bit, but I’ve still got too much major stuff to do.

For whatever reason, the chickens and the dogs just love this little run. Every day while I’m working, they will gather to eat, drink, lay eggs, dust bathe, and just hang out - all in my way! I’m surprised no one has gotten hurt yet.

These pictures were taken on three separate days.

Of course the birds have dug their craters and one or more of the dogs are generally sprawled out in everybody’s way.
530B5E46-F762-473B-9A53-6C14CAA649A4.jpeg

I’m not sure what, but there is something satisfying about watching the chickens dust bathe. It is also very humorous.
C8667539-7090-4ABD-9F03-6870F44C47B5.jpeg

Please pardon the poop board, and the unlevel awning. I’ve got to add a section of wood to the open ventilation section under the roof so I can drop, level, and anchor the awning.
6335BD86-1F9A-4259-98BB-EE2CA8774A44.jpeg

I am currently working in the front corner (behind the tin siding) constructing what will be the ducks own personal space. I will take more pictures as I go along. My intent, I think, is to leave the back (south side) open for the cool breeze. I do wrap the wire sections with plastic during the winter. I also constructed a little “Chunnel” that I can open to let the birds go back and forth to the big run and other coop. That was a necessity on these terribly rainy days when I couldn’t let them out into the yard.

I guess the neat thing about this coop is that it’s been entirely constructed out of repurposed materials, except for the HC, hinges for the windows and door, and screws. This coop measures 10 x 15.

Well, ta-ta for now.

Mail still seems to be coming through all of this so hopefully they will still send them :fl

I really like what you've done. Its a big coop too giving them all plenty of room
Pics are awesome.
Oh I sure hope they still ship out. That’ll be next week. I’ve got their little brooder all ready to go. It’s kind of like preparing the nursery way in advance of your due date! :lau :lau Don’t we all?

Thank you very much. This coop is rougher than my other one, but I really do like it.

This past week I have been able to get quite a bit done updating the little chicken coop to be able to sufficiently house my ducks.

Originally it was a dog kennel with hardware cloth attached to the bottom, with an apron, and chicken wire attached above. It housed one of those cutsie, pootsie, not big enough prefab coops. Last year, I began updating it, removing two sides of the kennel panels and enclosing an area for roosting and building nest boxes. It has worked wonderfully for my 12 little pullets.

So, this week, I have removed more panels (it was larger than a 10x10, so more panels than 4) added bracing and more walls (of tin, wood, and HC). I removed all the old wire and replaced it entirely with HC. I still have one 10’ section to do.

I also built a Dutch door for the coop to replace the old kennel gate. Building something that is square to be attached to something that’s not so square is no easy feat...but it works. I went ahead and added bracing to the door to be able to install a pop door later on. Those things are indispensable.

Here is a picture of it so far. The two open slots on the front (north side facing my house) are windows. The boards are hinged allowing one to raise up and one to lower. At present there are two more windows, one on the west (right) side and one on the south (back) side that wrap around the roosting area and nest boxes. These windows are covered with HC.
View attachment 2058703

I did not have enough of a roof overhang to adequately cover the west window (where the roost is) to protect the chickens, so I added an old awning that my DS gave me when he updated an old house he bought. It doesn’t necessarily keep with the “rustic” design of my coops and run, but it works. One day I may remove it and extend the roofline a bit, but I’ve still got too much major stuff to do.

For whatever reason, the chickens and the dogs just love this little run. Every day while I’m working, they will gather to eat, drink, lay eggs, dust bathe, and just hang out - all in my way! I’m surprised no one has gotten hurt yet.

These pictures were taken on three separate days.

Of course the birds have dug their craters and one or more of the dogs are generally sprawled out in everybody’s way.
View attachment 2058701

I’m not sure what, but there is something satisfying about watching the chickens dust bathe. It is also very humorous.
View attachment 2058702

Please pardon the poop board, and the unlevel awning. I’ve got to add a section of wood to the open ventilation section under the roof so I can drop, level, and anchor the awning.
View attachment 2058704

I am currently working in the front corner (behind the tin siding) constructing what will be the ducks own personal space. I will take more pictures as I go along. My intent, I think, is to leave the back (south side) open for the cool breeze. I do wrap the wire sections with plastic during the winter. I also constructed a little “Chunnel” that I can open to let the birds go back and forth to the big run and other coop. That was a necessity on these terribly rainy days when I couldn’t let them out into the yard.

I guess the neat thing about this coop is that it’s been entirely constructed out of repurposed materials, except for the HC, hinges for the windows and door, and screws. This coop measures 10 x 15.

Well, ta-ta for now.

Nice Coop! :thumbsup I love the repurposed look

Back
Top Bottom