Sellers selling ee's as Amercaunas

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigDaddy'sGurl :

Quote:
X2

I'll weigh in on the train wreck: with a link of interest:

http://www.eastereggers.com/

That site was made very recently, can't even spell heritage, and is 3rd party. It was obviously created by someone who was very upset to see their birds were not Ameraucanas, and as seen from the text on the site, is trying to say EE's are a hated group. Also, EE's are not the most loved or popular group out there. . . . I'd say Production Reds, Sex Links, Australorps and Barred Rocks beat them by far to it.
wink.png

That Easter Egger site made me laugh out loud!
lol.png

Are the owners of the club just trying to poke fun at all of the serious Ameraucana & Araucana breeders?

While I admit I didn't peruse the website whose link I posted thoroughly enough,
hide.gif
I will say that my position in this whole issue is that if one were to refer to hatchery quality "Ameraucanas" as "mutts", then wouldn't 99% of hatchery birds of any breed be "mutts" as well? We have all seen and heard stories of people getting birds of odd coloring, silkies with 4 toes, no beard when they should have had one, etc. from hatcheries.

Also, I find it interesting that "Ameraucana" chickens are actually bred originally from Easter Eggers. EEs were a type BEFORE Ameraucanas...but not many breeders admit to that...

BigDaddy'sGurl :

While I admit I didn't peruse the website whose link I posted thoroughly enough,
hide.gif
I will say that my position in this whole issue is that if one were to refer to hatchery quality "Ameraucanas" as "mutts", then wouldn't 99% of hatchery birds of any breed be "mutts" as well? We have all seen and heard stories of people getting birds of odd coloring, silkies with 4 toes, no beard when they should have had one, etc. from hatcheries.

Also, I find it interesting that "Ameraucana" chickens are actually bred originally from Easter Eggers. EEs were a type BEFORE Ameraucanas...but not many breeders admit to that...

99% of hatchery birds ARE mutts...at least very few of them represent the breeds they supposedly belong to.​

Who doesn't admit to that?
wink.png
I've yet to see an Ameraucana breeder, myself included, deny such. I know they came from EE's, but I also know that EE's are not technically "Ameraucanas crossed with something else" - They're the origin of Ameraucanas bred to no goal.

Also, yes, hatcheries have many faults in their breeds, but that in most cases does not make the birds mutts like with Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers can have just about any color of egg, leg, plumage/feathers, can have single or pea comb, can have yellow or white skin, can have beard/muffs or clean face, and even vary in size. They're simply the origin of a bunch of mutts who laid colored eggs from South America, then bred amongst each other over the years, whilst with other faulty hatchery breeds, they're just bred badly. Often good traits are culled out for the pursuit of simply production, and sometimes, yes, another breed is bred in, but it often doesn't show after a while.

I will say that I have indeed seen mutts when I ordered Brahmas years ago, and I've seen plenty obvious mutts when people order "Rhode Island Reds," but those cases vary, and aren't always so. Easter Egger "mutt" cases are.

I'll add as a last note, the term mutt is in no way an insult.
smile.png
I myself breed both Araucanas and Ameraucanas, yet I also create many "recipes" of Easter Eggers, some who I find are a MUST in anyone's colorful egg basket, such as Olive Eggers.
smile.png

but the simple bottom line is that the EEs were called Ameraucanas before APA-Ameraucanas came about and as such, they will always be sold by hatcheries and feed stores as Ameraucanas, so everyone can just chillax on the class-action lawsuit because it ain't gonna happen. Ameraucana people should have been wise enough to choose another name rather than attempt to steal the one which was already in play.

It's like developing a new breed and naming it "Black Star" or "Red Comet"...you have to know that you will never win.

eta: maybe I meant to say "Golden Comet", it doesn't matter, you know what I mean.

Last edited:
she reposted them. I gave her info and sites with info. So she now knows and is choosing to sell them as such. It's ok some people might buy them and not know any better. I just have seen peoples faces when they pay the price for a pure Amercauna to only get a easter egger. Someone said its about the money. Well yea it is but on the side of the people that knowingly sell them for more because they claim they are Amercaunas. Amercauna that meets the standard is alot I mean alot a more rare then to go out and find Easter eggers. The auction found is one of many but not the one I am talking about. Search for " araucana-ameraucana-strain hatching eggs "
Again I own both , love them both. Both have pretty eggs and are a delight to own. My issue is with the mislable. Doesnt matter who named what first IMO. The Amercauna is recognized and currently the Easter egger doesnt have a standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom