Selling eggs question

Rosebud75

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Vt
For those of you who sell eggs - do you have to go through some legal runaround? Taxes or inspectors or something?

In most places, if you sell them right from your property, you dont have to do anything special. I'm trying to find out what is required in Georgia when I take them to town, if I ever do. Some places require brand new cartons, others dont. Depends on where you are. Look up the Dept of Agriculture in your state and see if it's online.

Last edited:
For NC, I sell to the public and yes there are rules I have to follow.

So for your state, check the Dept. of Agriculture for Poultry and they will tell you exactly what you need to know.

very simple
hope that helps some

Karen

Quote:
In most state (like Kansas) the laws are very liberal and ag friendly.

I sell directly to a few devoted customers that buy all that my girls can lay.

In Wisconsin, I do not have to have a license or inspection as long as I only sell eggs from my property. If I ever want to take them to a farmer's market, I'll need a license.

Thank you, DLS, I just found someone's web page in Elberton, GA and that very thing was addressed. Where on earth does one go to candling class, though? Do I have to be licensed to sell off my property or does the candling class take care of that?

I think you're right. When I looked online all i could find was info regarding selling eggs at farmer's market. I don't think I should be too worried anyway, since when I do get chickens I won't have a ton of eggs leftover. I only want 5 hens at most. I'm sure family or friends/coworkers would be likely to buy any excess.

I sell eggs to neighbors, family and co-workers. I live in "suburban" area so not many folks have chickens. I don't worry about regulations or laws.

I could sell more than my hens produce but I don't have room for any more chickens.

When I moved to my current location 7 years ago (job relocation) it took me a few months to convince these "city" folks my eggs were safe to eat. They believe too much of what they hear in the media.

But once they tried them and saw what a real egg should look like and taste like, nice orange yolks and whites that don't run all over the pan they were hooked. The people who bake also swear that baked items bake and taste better.

I sell my eggs for $1.50/dozen. Although quite of few of my customers just give me $2 and forget the change. This covers my feed bill which is all I am looking to do.

By the way, I bought a few Easter Eggers last spring and the colored eggs are huge hit with the "city" folks.

Back
Top Bottom