Senior Rooster on Prednisolone

checkingon

Crowing
15 Years
May 25, 2008
Is this the right category or place someone can help me about giving Prednisolone to a rooster? My rooster is about 10-11 years of age and for some time now is suffering from weakness in legs. He is having difficulty walking up the ramp to go to the coop and occasionally falls off which is heartbreaking to see. He has a hard time standing for long periods and sometimes loses his balance and stumbles. He stumbles so often, he just lays on the ground which puts me on alert mode. I run to him but he would get up again. His eating is great! Otherwise he'll just lay around most of the day.

Vet recently saw (Monday) and felt Kingy's legs/joints which she said are inflammed; arthritis. He weighs 4 pounds. I don't Kingy's breed. I thought he was a Rhode Island Red but I don't think he is. She said his injuries appear to be from some kind of trauma he had before. Being a rooster from the wild, he has fought with many aggressive roosters and dogs. Not having seen him in days, he would eventually show up in my yard in bad shape. Limping, feathers pulled out - it was a sight to see. Now, it brings back memories and yes, he has been through a lot. Vet prescribed Prednisolone .5mg to be given half a pill each day for up to 2 weeks. He's never taken any medication before. Today was the first time I've seen him just laying on the ground on his side not struggling to get up. It happens when he falls and it happened several times today. I'm worried. Is it from the prednisolone? I am a worry wart and I would blame myself if something happens to him.
Please help or suggest. Kingy and his mate, Blackie live together and are inseparable. I cannot get close to either one of them as they both have never been around humans and hand-handled.
Kingy.jpg

I would call the vet's office and talk to them about it. How awesome he has lived for that many years. Good luck with him, I hope you can get him well. Also you are very lucky to have a vet that will treat chickens! I haven't found one within a 100 mile radius that will even think of seeing a chicken!

I'm sorry to hear he is not doing well.

I agree that calling your vet with your concerns would be in order, since this was prescribed and they are aware of his condition.

How are you able to administer the medication if he is not easily handled? Since he is quite advanced in age, then he may just be starting to naturally fail. Do the best you can to keep him hydrated, if you have them add some poultry vitamins to his water.

Lengthening your ramp would be a good idea to help him navigate into the coop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ramp-too-steep-for-senior-rooster-need-help.1201788/page-2

Are you sure his dosage is 0.5 mg? That is a pretty small dosage for his weight. Chickens are hard to find dosages for, but for dogs the dosage can start at 0.25 mg per pound. Corticosteroids usually are pretty well tolerated, but sometimes can cause GI upset and ulcers. That is why it is best to take with food. The biggest risk with them is that the patient can be at risk of developing infections on long term usage. Most of the time the benefits outweigh the risks, since it usually causes them to feel better by reducing inflammation. They also may eat and drink more, another side effect. I would call the vet if you have questions, but you could try skipping it for a day or two, and see if he feels better. What can be dangerous with steroids, is to be on a large dose for a long period, and suddenly stop it. But being on such as small dose for a day or two, it should not matter.

I would call the vet's office and talk to them about it. How awesome he has lived for that many years. Good luck with him, I hope you can get him well. Also you are very lucky to have a vet that will treat chickens! I haven't found one within a 100 mile radius that will even think of seeing a chicken!

This vet moved here within the past 5-6 years. I've seen her once before for one of my other hens that broke her leg. But since then she moved office. I called almost every veterinarian office until someone gave me her number. She said she worked with raptors and other birds before moving here. I'll give her a call again to tell her what's going on as Kingy was just given another pill this morning.

I'm sorry to hear he is not doing well.

I agree that calling your vet with your concerns would be in order, since this was prescribed and they are aware of his condition.

How are you able to administer the medication if he is not easily handled? Since he is quite advanced in age, then he may just be starting to naturally fail. Do the best you can to keep him hydrated, if you have them add some poultry vitamins to his water.

Lengthening your ramp would be a good idea to help him navigate into the coop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ramp-too-steep-for-senior-rooster-need-help.1201788/page-2

Someone else suggested I call which I'm going to do after I watch him this morning.

We put him into a cage at night so in the morning it is easier to pick him up and administer the pill which he hates. After we release him, he crows. Guess he's not happy.

I'm also going to work on that ramp!

Back
Top Bottom