Sensitivity and Internet Forums

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MayberrySaint, Aug 1, 2007.

1. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    It seems like over the last several days we have had quite a few members become sensitive to certain topics...
    Graphic photos, killing predators and even our sacred emoticons...[​IMG]
    A fact of life is that everyone will never agree on every subject. If you're a Republican, you will get mad or upset by what a Democrat says. If your a card-carrying member of the NRA, you'll get PO'ed at gun-control advocates. If your Christian, you'll get upset by those heathen Buddhists (of which I am a proud member). The faceless anonymity of the internet makes it very easy to argue and post feelings and thoughts that most of us would never say in a public arena. It is too easy to be rude and make negative comments when all you have to do is type a few words (or insert an appropriate emoticon).
    With that in mind, there is an old saying that my mother instilled in me many years ago: "Live and Let Live"...everyone has a right to express their opinions as long as they meet the guidelines of this forum. If someone feels that a thread or post isn't politically-correct, they can easily by-pass it. No one forces us to read these threads. I personally cannot stand the thought of processing my birds, so I avoid the "Meat Birds" forum...but I am thankful that it exists for those members that need to exchange information. This is a great forum and one of the most civil regardless of our small spats from time to time. However, banning certain topics because of our individual sensitivities will lessen the effectiveness of the overall Backyard Chickens community.

2. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    What she said ! [​IMG]

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I second that!

4. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    Me too! [​IMG]

5. pharr389

pharr389 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    southeast georgia
    amen!

6. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    Can I get an Amen Here!! Oh wait you're a Buddist, sorry about that. VERY well put though.

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Well said! Thank you. The only thing I have to add is that sensititve issues, like graphic pics, necropsies, etc, should be annouced in the topic area so folks don't stumble on them.

And......leave the smilies alone!!

[​IMG]

8. twincreekfarm

twincreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Vandalia, OH
    I couldn't agree with you more. It seems like every where you turn someone somewhere wants to "control" what you see, read, hear, etc. I read posts that i want to read, if i feel the topic is boring, I don't respond. Should I or someone now start asking to stop posting boring topics . . .why no. Everyone has a right to speak what they feel and read what applies to them or interests them.

I read the post about the coyote, and i even showed my husband the picture. It didn't offend me at all. For one because coyotes in some areas are a nusance and here where i live they attack dogs, cats, etc. If I belonged to a forum that had to do with law enforcement and I happened to shoot a burgular for being in my home, I'd probably show everyone, its human nature to think you need acceptance from others and to show what ordeal you dealt with.

We all know we look at traffic accidents, no matter how severe . . .we look. It's human nature to want to know and try to figure why things happen and to draw conclsions in our minds.

You know, I've seen posts on here that have nothing to do with chickens whatsoever, but if you are part of a community and feel like sharing things from Faith Hill yelling at a fan for touching her husband to the moonshine someones husband makes in their backyard to Mars shining as bright as a moon on the 28th of August, by all means post it! Obviously i read all these!!) We gain a connection through forums like this and feel a sense of friendship and togetherness and want to share out lives with the people we meet.

Ok, I put my 2 cents worth in . . .if you want to share your opinion, go right ahead and if you don't then don't. If you want to share a emoticon, thats your right!!

Good night all and may all your chickens be happy and healthy . . .for whatever their purpose!

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I agree fully. Take everything with a grain of salt and know that everyone is going to have different ideas and opinions!

10. lakecountychick

lakecountychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2007
    I agree with Mayberry Saint, Most of us are of an age of knowing how to read and spell. And many topics I have read, have had an appropriate warning for graphic pictures. This to me shows sensitivity to others, Thanks Mayberry saint.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by