Separation anxiety for ducks

It's unfortunate that you have to do this, but they will be ok in a few days. No different then weaning yearling caves from their mothers in the fall. They make a lot of noise for a few days and will quiet down and go about their business as nothing happened.

The change is a shock for them at first and they will adjust quickly. You are doing what's best for them and IMO, that's most import over their brief adjustment period. :)
Well said and exactly right sorry I take in rehomed roosters and drakes I'm so used to just finding solutions to keeping them

It's unfortunate that you have to do this, but they will be ok in a few days. No different then weaning yearling caves from their mothers in the fall. They make a lot of noise for a few days and will quiet down and go about their business as nothing happened.

The change is a shock for them at first and they will adjust quickly. You are doing what's best for them and IMO, that's most import over their brief adjustment period. :)
Thanks. Yeah, I have to keep reminding myself that it's the best thing for them and not about me.

One why not keep them and just separate them or get more girls for your boys
2 around 20wks they come into season for breeding and egg laying but since it will be winter by the time they come into season you probably won't have to worry till spring if it were me i would get more ducks so your drakes don't over breed your ducks but thats me
Honestly I tried to separate a duck who was ostracized by my flock. Luckily she hatched a duckling so she wasn’t alone but she pined after them. Even though she couldn’t see her flock she could hear them and she would try to go back even though they didn’t want her. Now that she lives with my mom with her duckling (who turned out male) she is much happier. She’s starting to forget them and can move on.

Oh

Oh i didn't realize you were in Florida ya then you will either have to re-home or get more girls or swap girls for boys if you can find someone to swap with if you don't mind my asking how big is your setup for them
We ho
Honestly I tried to separate a duck who was ostracized by my flock. Luckily she hatched a duckling so she wasn’t alone but she pined after them. Even though she couldn’t see her flock she could hear them and she would try to go back even though they didn’t want her. Now that she lives with my mom with her duckling (who turned out male) she is much happier. She’s starting to forget them and can move on.
Ohh that's good. I'm glad she ended up happy. I hope mine do. At least they'll have each other. I won't separate them.

Oh

Oh i didn't realize you were in Florida ya then you will either have to re-home or get more girls or swap girls for boys if you can find someone to swap with if you don't mind my asking how big is your setup for them
Well, first, we got them because we live on a lake in a community. We thought they'd be spending a lot of time there. But they don't, at least not yet. They are outside during the day and they stay close to home in our very small back yard. We have some other ducks in the lake that don't belong to us. But mine keep to themselves. Right now they come in at night at stay in my garage in a pen we made up. But we're building a 3x6 house to be their permanent home. Only for nighttime protection.
I have a very different situation from most duck owners.😊 I know, it's nuts.

Well, first, we got them because we live on a lake in a community. We thought they'd be spending a lot of time there. But they don't, at least not yet. They are outside during the day and they stay close to home in our very small back yard. We have some other ducks in the lake that don't belong to us. But mine keep to themselves. Right now they come in at night at stay in my garage in a pen we made up. But we're building a 3x6 house to be their permanent home. Only for nighttime protection.
I have a very different situation from most duck owners.😊 I know, it's nuts.
youre likely going to want a bigger set up, even though its only for overnight protection. A common recommendation is 4sqft PER bird, and more is always better considering how hot and humid ducks can make an enclosure (and the florida weather will add to that)

They also might avoid the lake if there are any predators in it (turtles, snakes, gators, etc) A lot of domestic breeds dont fly well/at all and if they cant launch themselves into flight right from the water, they wont last long in an unprotected body of water.

youre likely going to want a bigger set up, even though its only for overnight protection. A common recommendation is 4sqft PER bird, and more is always better considering how hot and humid ducks can make an enclosure (and the florida weather will add to that)

They also might avoid the lake if there are any predators in it (turtles, snakes, gators, etc) A lot of domestic breeds dont fly well/at all and if they cant launch themselves into flight right from the water, they wont last long in an unprotected body of water.
Really?! We did factor in the heat on FL so it's not completely enclosed. I'm attaching a photo to show it. The top will be covered with a roof. Then the 3 walls to provide some shelter and enclosure. The other sides and floor will be coated hardware cloth. So they'll have good air circulation.
The other thing we considered was the way they sleep and hang out. I'm attaching 2 images of them. One before we remove the water and turn off lights and then the night time sleeping. They always use that one area staying together. I think if we kept the water station in there they'd probably all try to sleep in it! So we didn't think we needed to make it any bigger. Plus we are tight on space. These ducks don't let any daylight get between them much.😊

What do you think?

Really?! We did factor in the heat on FL so it's not completely enclosed. I'm attaching a photo to show it. The top will be covered with a roof. Then the 3 walls to provide some shelter and enclosure. The other sides and floor will be coated hardware cloth. So they'll have good air circulation.
The other thing we considered was the way they sleep and hang out. I'm attaching 2 images of them. One before we remove the water and turn off lights and then the night time sleeping. They always use that one area staying together. I think if we kept the water station in there they'd probably all try to sleep in it! So we didn't think we needed to make it any bigger. Plus we are tight on space. These ducks don't let any daylight get between them much.😊

What do you think?
I forgot the photos 🤪

You can't see some of them because they're under the camera. But you can tell the other half of the pen is just empty.

Attachments

• 20200926_102803.jpg
    20200926_102803.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20200926-094448_Wyze.jpg
    Screenshot_20200926-094448_Wyze.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20200926-132507_Wyze.jpg
    Screenshot_20200926-132507_Wyze.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 7

What do you think?
Just repeating what I've seen others say, but yes - typically that's the recommendation, regardless of how they behave in their space, they just need it *available* if they want it. Especially once they start mating and laying, tensions may rise and they may want their space.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-much-coop-space-for-ducks.645937/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-much-square-footage-for-ducks.1260375/

and a bunch others.

Also be warned you might run into bumblefoot issues with the hardware cloth floor. They've got some fragile feet and pekins/cresteds are big heavy ducks.

@Debby Duck now seeing your set up i can tell you why they are not going to the pond your water station is the reason they have the water they need right there so no need to go to the pond second your floor needs to be solid the wire will give them feet issue's and if you are going to rehome the girls that is plenty of room for 4 drakes if you get rid of there water station and get them to the pond you probably won't have to re-home the girls they will integrate themselves in with the other ducks that are there and won't get over bred and if you get them in the pen every night and keep the girls you will get eggs if you add a couple nest boxes you will be set

Back
Top Bottom