September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Quote: My sewing room is also the Christmas room and the room where eggs are kept in the auto turners until incubation. The extra bedroom is where the incubators are. I'm slowly taking over the whole house!

Quote: At 5 months, she is in shock, but could have bruising that won't show. Definitely keep her in a calm quiet area for a few days and monitor her.for sprains in joints. Give her a little unflavored yogurt to help with a stressed digestive system. Give her a baby aspirin. And if you have them, electorlyes in her water. Let me go look for the home made formula for electrolytes. Be right back.
Homemade Electrolytes
1/2 tsp salt substitute* optional
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp table salt ( I prefer sea salt )
1 Tbs sugar
1 gallon of water
Since you just have the one chick...mix your dry ingredients really well. Add 3/8 tsp to one cups of water. You can refrigerate the water and use a needleless syringe to dribble the water into the side of her mouth. If she drinks on her own, then that is the only water you offer her for the next two days.

Last edited:
Is it normal when the chicken is in shock to make a clicking noise every once in a while ??
She could be clicking because she is content, wrapped in her towel
or
Check her neck area just above the crop area where the trachea and esophagus run parallel to each other..
Can you feel a bubble when you hear the clicking sound?
1) If so she may have swallowed an air bubble. Since chickens don't burp, you can gently massage her crop to help it surface.
2) she could have an air leak in the trachea...that will heal.

We have our first chick! The little one popped out (with a little help) just over an hour ago. It got stuck zipping after about 2 hours of no progress I took the top off and a wet little chick kicked its way out of the shell. I was hoping to see more black mixed in with the red, but there isn't any. Maybe it will show up with the next generation, and maybe not. Oh well. Cute little bugger anyway. One down and two to go with this set.

I'm mid hatch with one CLB chick and still have 2 eggs more to hatch in this batch. Then a break to the end of the week and my Birchen Marans will all being well start to hatch fingers crossed.

Hi. Update: I have veining in my store bought eggs. This just blows me away! And here's my week old chicks. Also this morning I found a chick in the water dish, ice cold and appeared dead. I put it in under a heat lamp (I don't use this time of year) and it dried off and I can't see anything different now, wow am I lucky or what?!

Last edited:
For her first hatch it is a smooth ride so far 11 have hatched and 4 are alive in the egg so happy out of 16 on 1 died I think I know I originally said 19 counted incorrectly
Also I am confused all the eggs are purebred Plymouth Rockeggs so why are there white chicks could there be a chance that the barred have hatched white Plymouth rocks please help as I am curious

Back
Top Bottom