September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Oh, by the way, for those of you guys hatching marans eggs... Please don't shoot the messenger, but Marans always has an S on the end. Even a single chick is a Marans.
(I only point it out because I'm nicer than some folks on the Marans threads. If you ever visit one and call it a maran, they can get rude!)
big_smile.png

Sadly, this is true.
hmm.png

Happy hatching everyone!

Lockdown started today! Who hoo. Humidity looks good and at a steady temp. 9 eggs. 3 due tomorrow and 6 on Wednesday.

My 1 & 2 week old babies are doing great!
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Yes I'm hopeful. I only have one light brown egg in that bator the rest are f1 olive Rogers so the shell is daaark, can't see a thing, which is driving me nuts.
Nevermind my incubation issues, I also heard the Dominican got hit hard. We were supposed to be there around this time this year but forgot to schedule when my mom got sick. She's ok now but I feel like it was a blessing in disguise.

I've got the same problem with 3-4 of my eggs. They're so dark you'd need a spotlight to see inside them.

Hey I have a pip hole and peeping and movement wahoo....

Yeah!!! And you were about to give up on them! Keep us posted!

This is why I wonder why people think that is soo important to keep that bator closed the whole time. I like to candle my eggs on the end of day 20 to see how close they are to hatching. Think about wild life. I see those Eagles they video tape on youtube get up and change places while an egg is pipped, in snowy weather! They usually hatch three babies, did again this yr. I have found, that opening the bator quickly during lock down is a good thing, they need the oxygen. Now, this is me! Not suggesting anyone else do this, especially if you think I'm crazy.
wink.png

I'm with you!
wink.png

Happy hatching everyone!

Lockdown started today! Who hoo. Humidity looks good and at a steady temp. 9 eggs. 3 due tomorrow and 6 on Wednesday.

My 1 & 2 week old babies are doing great!
[/URL]

So cute!!! Good luck with lockdown. I expect more pics in a few days!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes, they are chatty. My aunt has a bunch. I complained to her about a pigeon loft across the street from me and said I wished it was legal to have roosters in revenge for the "coo, coo, coo" every darn morning. (They're louder than my barred rock!) Her response was "take one of my guinea hens. That'll teach them".

The eggs just went into lockdown. Now I just have to hold my breath and wait.

I thought I would add, do you think there is any worry of the chicks falling into the water dishes and drowning? I slid them under the half of the incubator that has wire, but I'm still a little concerned I won't notice they have hatched until its too late.

I thought I would add, do you think there is any worry of the chicks falling into the water dishes and drowning? I slid them under the half of the incubator that has wire, but I'm still a little concerned I won't notice they have hatched until its too late.

Its possible, and I've read about it happening. I had a small 1/8 cup tupperware measuring cup of water in mine during a duck hatch. They sat in it!! But with chicks, I would be too scared to leave open water. Maybe put a sponge in it?

I don't put food or water in my incubator. The yolk holds them
over for about 24 hours. That's what I do anyway ;)

Back
Top Bottom