September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Oh yay! Ok I'll update. How are the guineas doing? I'd love some of those someday. I heard they scare away predators,very vocal.

Last edited:
Ok this is the best I can do. I've spent far too much time today trying to get a decent pic. I believe these are alive. How does the air cell look at day 12?

And these I think are quitters or infertile I don't know. Should I toss?

Last edited:
I put x18 Birchen Maran eggs in one of my Bators today, I also have another 14 wheaten, Blue Black n splash Maran eggs in on day 16 n 9 Cream Leg Bar on day 7 n 1 duck on day 21. As well as 2 n 3 week old chicks in the brooder,its gonna be a busy few weeks here with chicks hatching etc. These are imported eggs so not a very high hatch rate from them most of the time, but as I can't get these birds over here I take that chance and am thankful for any that hatch n survive.

The Cream Leg Bar eggs are from my own birds so I always get a good hatch rate from these, its just the imported eggs that the hatch rate is a lot lower.

@WVduckchick

Nope nothing yet.. In anticipation I went to the flea market today and bought 1 Pekin duck, 3 of some other kind of duck, 11 Rouen/Campbell's. 2 Wyandotte hens, 1 white leghorn hen, a roo, and a polish hen with one foot.
Almost time to turn the duck eggs for evening. Hope everyone does well tonight here.

Good luck to those who will be hatching soon.

Fat end up, always fat end up. 

Oh wow I'm an idiot especially because I knew that too. I think I can barely see anything but the air cell and I got confused. I'll leave the poor things alone for now but I looked in one the right way and there's just darkness. I'll update pics.

World's worst candling pics. But this is what I'm seeing. 29 eggs that are black with a perfect air cell. Then 7 that have a shaded blob and no air cells. Either quitters or I have no clue. I'm not tossing any just to be safe unless anyone has any advice. These are very dark Marans eggs.

No air cell? Did you look all over the egg?? It could be somewhere other than normal, but I've never seen one without one.

I agree. I had a duck get off her nest while they were hatching. 1 duckling was half hatched and cold. Both my DH and myself thought it had died. Put it in the trash. The next morning the trash was peeping. Oscar is a week old today!

That is cool as can be!

Ok this is the best I can do. I've spent far too much time today trying to get a decent pic. I believe these are alive. How does the air cell look at day 12?

And these I think are quitters or infertile I don't know. Should I toss?

I agree with your assumptions. Much better than that last post haha. Air cell looks good to me too.

@WVduckchick

Nope nothing yet.. In anticipation I went to the flea market today and bought 1 Pekin duck, 3 of some other kind of duck, 11 Rouen/Campbell's. 2 Wyandotte hens, 1 white leghorn hen, a roo, and a polish hen with one foot.
Almost time to turn the duck eggs for evening. Hope everyone does well tonight here.

Good luck to those who will be hatching soon.

Adorable!!!! :love

Oh, by the way, for those of you guys hatching marans eggs... Please don't shoot the messenger, but Marans always has an S on the end. Even a single chick is a Marans.
(I only point it out because I'm nicer than some folks on the Marans threads. If you ever visit one and call it a maran, they can get rude!) :D

Back
Top Bottom