September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

I have a pic of the easy way to make boots but my phone is not cooperating for pics. Basically a piece of masking tape (I actually like the fabric medical tape) lay it out flat, sticky side up, lower the chicks foot on it and spread the toes where they should be, then fold the edges of the tape up and around the toes. You can trim the corners of the tape. I had one curled, and they were straight within 2 days. I would redo the tape daily until they are ok. I bought some chicks last year that obviously needed boots as babies, but they get around just fine. Named one Crooked Toes, hers are so bad lol
The earlier you fix, the quicker they straighten out.
I'll find that pic or try again to post, but its really easy and doesn't hurt them.

I'm going to hop on here. I failed twice last year at 100% fail. I bought an old round metal incubator with still air & no turner. I started iff with 14 of my own eggs that are due now! 9 hatched & 1 more is almost out.

I had two ladies give me eggs but at different times so I'm trying a staggered hatch. This Friday I have Silky & Cochin due plus a couple EE.

Sept 2 I should have Ameraucauna & Cinnamon Queens due.

Oh yay! Welcome. I had two hatches last year, one was super successful, the other not so much. Happy Hatching
1f423.png

@WVduckchick
Thank you. Now that number two is out I'm super excited for them to dry and the Buttercup eggs to get back in the turners hope it hasn't affected them poorly. Tonight is day 7 candle on the first 9 Buttercup eggs I know at least one was developing. Can't wait to see it again.

Any help on boot making, just in case, would appreciated and should I do it asap. I just feel nervous sticking something sticky to their tender little legs is everyone sure it doesn't hurt them?

Eta: sorry I'm an overprotective Mommy ;) never had to do boots before(assissted hatch yes boots no) guess I'm afraid it will pull skin off or damage it. and will post fuzzy chick picks later in sure everyone could use some more of those today. :)

I've never had to do boots either. Yes also on assisted hatch. But I will say this....I believe everyone here is an overprotective mommy! (Daddy) Rest assured,the people here can be trusted! They share knowledge from experience gained due to prior situations. And I'll be praying for your lil fur babies.
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f618.png

@Gloryjasmine
Thank you so much Glory didn't mean to insinuate that anyone would steer me wrong more wondering if anyone has had bad experience like that.

Aww honey.... You're welcome. And I did not mean to insinuate that you would. I,thankfully,have not experienced that. I can't imagine what that feels like. Pretty scary,if I were to imagine. I truly am praying for you. I hope all goes well. Keep me posted please.
2764.png

Last edited:
@Gloryjasmine
Well I'm glad no one has mentioned having an experience like that but I just had to ask such are the things I have nightmares about on the eve of a hatch terrible though they are you know the subconscious thinks up the worst things. I can't imagine the skin peeling off a chicks leg from tape just wanted to be sure.

However I think I might not need the boots. The chick's feet seem to have straightened out since this morning and only rarely when laying do his or her toes curl while she's sitting on them. It looks like she's making a little fist. Should I put boots on her? I know her parents produce show quality chicks I can't imagine they would breed birds with bent to genetics. Buying sav-a-chick and probiotics tomorrow. So happy they're out.

@Gloryjasmine
Well I'm glad no one has mentioned having an experience like that but I just had to ask such are the things I have nightmares about on the eve of a hatch terrible though they are you know the subconscious thinks up the worst things. I can't imagine the skin peeling off a chicks leg from tape just wanted to be sure.

However I think I might not need the boots. The chick's feet seem to have straightened out since this morning and only rarely when laying do his or her toes curl while she's sitting on them. It looks like she's making a little fist. Should I put boots on her? I know her parents produce show quality chicks I can't imagine they would breed birds with bent to genetics. Buying sav-a-chick and probiotics tomorrow. So happy they're out.

It's so sad. You've got this new,precious little life,and you've waited so patiently(well maybe not soooooo patiently
1f601.png
), and then you realize they've got an issue. Poor wittle babies!!!
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
You know what?!? I'm just like you! Omgosh I am so analytical. I usually do imagine the worst,inadvertently.
1f611.png
I think that's normal. Especially with us mamas! The skin down there is so tough. I think it'll be alright. Again though,I've never had to do it. Someone will answer on that soon. I did have one of my new banty chicks sitting with her legs extended out in front of her. And to move around,she'd flap those lil feet and wings so hard while dragging her butt. Oh it was hard to see that. But she corrected it very quickly. I was a little on the concerned side,lemme tell ya! Thank you Lord.
1f64f.png
Yea that wouldn't be good. I do suppose there's always that sad chance,though.
1f614.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom