September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

So, I candled my eggs. All the others still don't look like they are fertile, however, the one tiny egg I got from my Great-grandma-hen, Pip, has a chick in it! Its little heart is beating even. It was so amazing to see!

So, I candled my eggs. All the others still don't look like they are fertile, however, the one tiny egg I got from my Great-grandma-hen, Pip, has a chick in it! Its little heart is beating even. It was so amazing to see!

Day 9 you should be seeing good activity, but I'd still give them a few more days. Also, I dont know what kind of light you use, but a good bright light makes a world of difference. I'm hoping that you will still see something in all of them!

Got my babies today. Can't wait to set them tomorrow!!

Love your Columbian Wyandotte in your avatar.

Congrats on getting the eggs sorry about the cracked one hope it makes it good luck. Where'd you get the buff Laced wyandotte eggs? Would love a hen of those.

Buff laced Wynadottes are just ebay eggs all of my eggs are ebay eggs very cheap eggs compared to "August hatch" eggs :)

Those should be beautiful birds. They are very popular in England...there are lovely pictures on the Columbian Wyandotte page on Facebook.

I'm subscribing to this HAL thread. I haven't done so in a long time and am interested in what you are hatching.
I have two Hovabators with eggs that will hatch in September. I also use another Hovabator as a hatcher. Both incubators have auto egg turners and are dry incubation. The hatcher has a digital thermometer/humidy gauge and humidity is held at 60%.

Set 8/11 due 9/1 are 14 Columbian Wyandotte, White Wyandotte and 2 Bantam.
Set 8/17 due 9/2 are 33 Corturnix quail. These are hard to candle because of the blue inner she'll and the heavily spotted outer shell. Usually know what is developing on day 18 when they go to the hatcher.
Set 8/18 due 9/7 are 24 eggs from Columbian and White Wyandotte as well as some Delaware Bantam and OEGB. Also added 4 developing eggs found behind the refrigerator in the barn. Saw a black snake in the barn that day and thought the eggs would have a better chance in the incubator! These will be layer mixes.

Welcome!!! It's so awesome here!!! We have the bestes thread in the entire BYC! God bless.
1f64f.png

Last edited:
Hey all update on the two sets of Buttercup eggs and the partridge rock eggs and just for fun the two black oegb eggs that are cresting the 21 day mark in two hours... This is what happens when you drink with friends who have chickens lol. Anyway one baby hatched about 9:30 pm and the other one has pipped. I have humidity cranked way up as earlier today the outer membrane was drying white and the chick was having some trouble cutting it. As a precaution I made sure I carefully opened an air hole where the pip wasfor the second chick as well. Tomorrow is day 7 for the first set of Buttercups. Yesterday we candled two eggs at random from the set while adding water not wanting to hurt the eggs in lockdown. One appeared to be a clear the other developing well especially considering the condition they arrived in. Hoping there are more. Yesterday was also set day for the second set of Buttercups and the partridge rocks.

Temp. 98.5-100
Hum. Running about 74% since I upped it. Was at 60%

Ok so I puty eggs in my new hovabator this morning. I have 2 thermostats in there. The on on the right says 99 the one on the left says 102 they were calibrated before I started this. I don't have the money for a fan right now any other ideas :(

First, are the thermometers at the same height in the incubator? On top of the eggs is the best height for both. The temperature can be different at different heights.
Try trading positions with both thermometers. See if they register the same temperatures. If you still get 99 on the right side and 102 on the left, then you have two solutions.
1) You can rotate the eggs each time you turn them so that some are moved to the 102 section that were in the 99 area.
2) Mark your top and rotate it.

Hey all update on the two sets of Buttercup eggs and the partridge rock eggs and just for fun the two black oegb eggs that are cresting the 21 day mark in two hours... This is what happens when you drink with friends who have chickens lol. Anyway one baby hatched about 9:30 pm and the other one has pipped. I have humidity cranked way up as earlier today the outer membrane was drying white and the chick was having some trouble cutting it. As a precaution I made sure I carefully opened an air hole where the pip wasfor the second chick as well. Tomorrow is day 7 for the first set of Buttercups. Yesterday we candled two eggs at random from the set while adding water not wanting to hurt the eggs in lockdown. One appeared to be a clear the other developing well especially considering the condition they arrived in. Hoping there are more. Yesterday was also set day for the second set of Buttercups and the partridge rocks.

Temp. 98.5-100
Hum. Running about 74% since I upped it. Was at 60%

Congrats! Keep em coming

First, are the thermometers at the same height in the incubator? On top of the eggs is the best height for both. The temperature can be different at different heights.
Try trading positions with both thermometers. See if they register the same temperatures. If you still get 99 on the right side and 102 on the left, then you have two solutions.
1) You can rotate the eggs each time you turn them so that some are moved to the 102 section that were in the 99 area.
2) Mark your top and rotate it.

They are the same thermometer and at the same level. I did switch them and see what happened. They did regulate a bit better but I'm also gonna take your advice on switching the eggs from one side to the other when I turn them. Thanks!!!
And if all else fails I can just rotate the top.

Day 9 you should be seeing good activity, but I'd still give them a few more days. Also, I dont know what kind of light you use, but a good bright light makes a world of difference. I'm hoping that you will still see something in all of them!

Thanks.
smile.png

I'll try to find a stronger light, hopefully that will help.

For those of you not on the August hatch-a-long...
Update:Both healthy but a little sticky however only the back of the head and neck were affected. Didn't seem like my last hatch with sticky chick but I could be wrong it's only my second hatch. Any ideas? Also for the life of me I couldn't remember will their toes straighten at all? My second one hatched a little after 8 am but I think it's toes are curled or looked that way at hatch. Looks like we might be making him/her a pair of boots later. Don't want to hurt the baby though I know it'll help it in the long run. Gotta dry first though. Will post pics when dry.

@WVduckchick
Thank you. Now that number two is out I'm super excited for them to dry and the Buttercup eggs to get back in the turners hope it hasn't affected them poorly. Tonight is day 7 candle on the first 9 Buttercup eggs I know at least one was developing. Can't wait to see it again.

Any help on boot making, just in case, would appreciated and should I do it asap. I just feel nervous sticking something sticky to their tender little legs is everyone sure it doesn't hurt them?

Eta: sorry I'm an overprotective Mommy ;) never had to do boots before(assissted hatch yes boots no) guess I'm afraid it will pull skin off or damage it. and will post fuzzy chick picks later in sure everyone could use some more of those today. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom