September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Got my babies today. Can't wait to set them tomorrow!!

Love your Columbian Wyandotte in your avatar.

Congrats on getting the eggs sorry about the cracked one hope it makes it good luck. Where'd you get the buff Laced wyandotte eggs? Would love a hen of those.

Buff laced Wynadottes are just ebay eggs all of my eggs are ebay eggs very cheap eggs compared to "August hatch" eggs :)

Those should be beautiful birds. They are very popular in England...there are lovely pictures on the Columbian Wyandotte page on Facebook.

I'm subscribing to this HAL thread. I haven't done so in a long time and am interested in what you are hatching.
I have two Hovabators with eggs that will hatch in September. I also use another Hovabator as a hatcher. Both incubators have auto egg turners and are dry incubation. The hatcher has a digital thermometer/humidy gauge and humidity is held at 60%.

Set 8/11 due 9/1 are 14 Columbian Wyandotte, White Wyandotte and 2 Bantam.
Set 8/17 due 9/2 are 33 Corturnix quail. These are hard to candle because of the blue inner she'll and the heavily spotted outer shell. Usually know what is developing on day 18 when they go to the hatcher.
Set 8/18 due 9/7 are 24 eggs from Columbian and White Wyandotte as well as some Delaware Bantam and OEGB. Also added 4 developing eggs found behind the refrigerator in the barn. Saw a black snake in the barn that day and thought the eggs would have a better chance in the incubator! These will be layer mixes.

So I'm super new too this. These eggs will be my second incubation ever lol. When do you candle the first time? I've heard mixed answers on this. Some say day 7, some say day 10. What do you guys think?

So I'm super new too this. These eggs will be my second incubation ever lol. When do you candle the first time? I've heard mixed answers on this. Some say day 7, some say day 10. What do you guys think?

Its my second hatch too! I hear it is best to do it at day 7-8, since you can't always tell earlier then this.

Best of luck!
smile.png

Ok so I puty eggs in my new hovabator this morning. I have 2 thermostats in there. The on on the right says 99 the one on the left says 102 they were calibrated before I started this. I don't have the money for a fan right now any other ideas :(

Ok so I puty eggs in my new hovabator this morning. I have 2 thermostats in there. The on on the right says 99 the one on the left says 102 they were calibrated before I started this. I don't have the money for a fan right now any other ideas :(

Mine is doing something similar with the temperature. I have mine all bunched into the back because the front is colder. I have a couple baby food jars of water to keep the ones in the front warmer and I move them around. There's no turner. Every time I turn up the temp it spikes too high in the afternoon.

Candle any time! I candle alot. I'm an admitted candling addict! As long as your incubator maintains temp and humidity well, there's no harm. Days 7/14/18 are good reference days for checking air cells, but I candle a few almost every day after day 5!! The best activity is between days 10-16ish

Mine is doing something similar with the temperature. I have mine all bunched into the back because the front is colder. I have a couple baby food jars of water to keep the ones in the front warmer and I move them around. There's no turner. Every time I turn up the temp it spikes too high in the afternoon.

The jars are a good idea to fill space and maintain temps throughout. Rocks work too, just sanitize them first.

Back
Top Bottom