September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

so do I but I still have skunks. So far, it hasn't gotten I to the back yard. My chihuahua barking through the fence scares it off.

Pasty butt experience anyone? I've heard yogurt mixed with food helps
Stay on that pasty butt. It only takes missing it for a little bit before it backs the chick up and ...I have tried all the tricks but never found anything in particular that works. My chicks will not eat plain yogurt but I had a crew once who loved the strawberry organic yogurt. I would just add probiotics and vitamins to their food. Make sure the water is clean and their bedding clean and the heat is not too hot.

My incidince of pasty butt has decreased with the brinsea ecoglow warmers...instead of heat lamps. Not sure if that can be tested but I noticed a decrease in the issue.

Good luck!

Last guinea update - total of 14 hatched and healthy.
D.gif
3 more didn't make it: 1 died in the shell - couldn't get out - one died in the coop after hatching and one had neurological problems and had to go to chicken/guinea heaven. I still have one egg that seems to want to hatch, so I'm going to let it go and see what happens. Other eggs are not as developed as the others and may or may not be good. If nothing happens in the next couple of days, I'll discard them. Hopefully, the two couples that are taking the keets will show up today and take them to their new homes!

And now on to my chicken hatching. I discarded the one obviously not fertile egg this morning. So six in the incubator - lockdown on Thursday!
fl.gif

You like the ecoglow warmers? I was considering one but the reviews on the website didn't look that good. I hate the heat lamps.
I have 3. Two of the 20 and one 50. I wasn't sleeping at night because I was worried about all the red lights on in the house catching fire. They grow quick for the 20. It's good for 20 chicks in their first week..but after that they start growing their feathers anyhow.

The best thing about them is that the chicks SLEEP!!!!! They don't chirp all night long. And as they grow you raise it. I really do like mine. I think I got it off of hayneedle or something for under $80 shipped. It's also much more electric friendly.

SO,the little hona egg I did not think would hatch...has a pip. I put two more hona eggs and one light sussex in lockdown. Maybe he will be all hatched out by the time I get home from class tonight!

Last guinea update - total of 14 hatched and healthy.
D.gif
3 more didn't make it: 1 died in the shell - couldn't get out - one died in the coop after hatching and one had neurological problems and had to go to chicken/guinea heaven. I still have one egg that seems to want to hatch, so I'm going to let it go and see what happens. Other eggs are not as developed as the others and may or may not be good. If nothing happens in the next couple of days, I'll discard them. Hopefully, the two couples that are taking the keets will show up today and take them to their new homes!

And now on to my chicken hatching. I discarded the one obviously not fertile egg this morning. So six in the incubator - lockdown on Thursday!
fl.gif
Great new on your guinea's. Congrats.

Momma and chicks. She's got 4 fully hatched, and 6 more eggs to go. Daddy and some of the biological mommas, wondering what all the peeping is about.
Awe that's really cute. Broody hatching my babies has got to be on my bucket list.

Back
Top Bottom