September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

The chick that needed assistance has splayed legs. I think it's why she had such a hard time hatching. She doesn't use her feet at all. She can move her legs, but she can't use her feet to grip, even on a paper towel. I've splinted the legs, but I don't have much hope for this chick making it.

Awe I'm blown away by that!!! I've found that when I'm raising them inside for a while,putting a blanket over whatever they're in helps them sleep. Chickens have internal clocks. Their bodies know when dawn is and when dusk is. And they know at dawn,rise and at dusk,sleep. If they're inside with you and the lights are on,that's what is keeping them(him)awake. They're confused. Even as young as they are,they know when to get up and when to lay down from birth. I'd cover him. That way when you do eventually add him to your outside flock,he'll know what to do! And he won't be like...what the??? Why y'all going nauny??? Lol best wishes.

That's a pretty good idea. It may be difficult with my set-up (I have a couple of 6 inch boards precariously balanced against a laundry basket and the wall) but maybe it will keep them quiet at night. Hopefully.
smile.png

Crowing at a week....Holy cow. I have never heard of that either. What breed of chicken is he so i know to stay clear! LOL
You would think early maturing would be a good thing, but so far I think it is mostly just annoying. Lol.
tongue.png

He's a "Dalmatian Bantam" a breed I'm creating using the infamously aggressive and early crowing Sebright. All my sebrights crow really early and mature really early and feather out really early.

Egg candeling...

So I tried to candel all the eggs three I can't see anything but there is a great air sack in all three with a large dark mass ad one I can see blood vessels (day7/8)

One has this dark ring on the inside all the way around and that's it. Could this be bacteria? Should I remove the egg? I would hate to keep a spoiled egg in there.
Also kne is very obvious and seems hollow and no air sack. Should I remove that one as well?

Sometimes eggs that appear as if they shouldn't hatch at all, do anyways. However, if there is no airsac then the chick inside couldn't survive anyways.

Week old today...

I really like their colors!

Day 21 starting here but they are jersey eggs and I ran the temp about 99 so I might have to wait a couple of days. Candled 1 quickly last night and they are dark with good air cells so heres hoping.

Best of luck with your hatch!
thumbsup.gif

My local Serama eggs are doing well. 7 out of 10 have perfect development and air cells. Which, makes me so happy because the last two attempts were total flops. Out of 30-something eggs, I got one chick, and he was an assisted hatch. BUT, they were shipped in very hot, very humid weather and one batch took 5 days to get here. Plus, it was my first time hatching and I think I meddled way too much with the candling. I have a bit more experience now, learned from my mistakes, ironed out some kinks in the incubator, got a fan, turner, and two extra thermometers/hydrometers for accuracy. And I've only candled once, so I'm very proud of myself. Lol Lockdown is due on the 24th, humidity and temp has been steady so far, so I'm feeling really good about these guys. Does anyone know how the lethal Serama gene works? I think it's something like, 25% don't make it. Is it that they quit early, die during hatch, or shortly after? If 7 make it to lock down, might I only expect 5 or so to make it?

That's awesome! I hope all of them hatch!
Lethal genes drive me crazy. I can't stand them. However, according to some of the information I read, seramas with short legs is a disqualification, so you'd think the lethal gene would be bred out of them by now. After all, its not doing anything to help.
Sorry for ranting there for a second.
big_smile.png

This should help: http://www.malaysianseramabantams.com/lethalgenetics.htm

The chick that needed assistance has splayed legs. I think it's why she had such a hard time hatching. She doesn't use her feet at all. She can move her legs, but she can't use her feet to grip, even on a paper towel. I've splinted the legs, but I don't have much hope for this chick making it.

I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes electrolytes help a weak chick strengthen up. Even chicks that can't lift their heads.

She's got plenty of energy, she just can't use her feet at all. I think it's the reason she couldn't zip properly. She can kick her legs, but the toes don't move. I can make her stand properly with support. But when she's picked up, her feet just kind of dangle. I think it's a neurological problem.

We used a dropper to get raw egg yolk into a chick we got that was very tiny and sickly and couldn't hold his head up. He was also too weak to stand. I am proud to say "Nugget" is a beautiful tiny little roo and is very friendly and sweet, if a little confused as he likes to show off for me. :)

Egg candeling...

So I tried to candel all the eggs three I can't see anything but there is a great air sack in all three with a large dark mass ad one I can see blood vessels (day7/8)

One has this dark ring on the inside all the way around and that's it. Could this be bacteria? Should I remove the egg? I would hate to keep a spoiled egg in there.
Also kne is very obvious and seems hollow and no air sack. Should I remove that one as well?
The one with the dark ring may be a blood ring in one that has died. The blood vessels are a great sign as are a dark mass. You should see veining soon if not yet.

The one that seems hollow with no air sac...do you see the yolk? It may just be super fresh and you can't see the cell until the egg progress'.

Day 21 starting here but they are jersey eggs and I ran the temp about 99 so I might have to wait a couple of days. Candled 1 quickly last night and they are dark with good air cells so heres hoping.
Sweet! They should be popping out all over soon! Can't wait to see them!

So far I haven't killed them! YAYness! :D

He is moving less than he was yesterday though. Do they kick around less as they get older? That, or he may have been snoozing...

Ive found that the embryo has periods of no movement...even when candling with a bright light.
Eggs in lockdown do not always rock and roll either.
So hatched chicks don't play football with those eggs that have not yet hatched, I put all eggs in the hatcher in a cardboard egg carton where I have punched holes in the air cups for air circulation. The hatching chicks are better oriented in their shell and can push up strengthening their legs as they hatch.

Just finished moving 19 quail to the brooder and move 20 eggs to the hatcher...Columbian Wyandotte, Serama and OEGB.

Whoever is getting the breed mix of chicks...my Avatar is a Columbian Wyandotte chick.

Last edited:
Thank you!
smile.png
I was worried that one day he was swimming & the next he died
sad.png

This is my second try to incubate serama & I was thinking I did something wrong. The first ones only developed 2 & they didn't hatch.

Are you getting one of those for the dog or the coyotes? If coyotes,in my area,there's no laws against killing a coyote at any time. It is legal. They're such a nuisance! I live in the country country on a 24 acre farm. My husband and I have lots of experience with predators. I would recommend a 12 gauge shotgun (loaded with target load)if shooting at night. Which usually is the case. You don't really have the option of seeing through a scope and getting it right in the crosshairs. Also,they explode when fired. So it's kinda like little bb's spreading over a wider range. Better chance of making contact. If it's in the day time,which is very possible, a 22 rifle works well. They've got a scope. Mine has a red x that can be enabled for more accuracy. Point being,you can see a lot better to aim at either the head or behind the shoulder area. Making contact in the lungs or heart. They usually travel in a pack. A shotgun can be reloaded quickly! But,we've had a loner show up in the middle of the day! If it's for the dog.....we have what's known as "the castle law"here. Our land and everything on it is our castle. We have the right to defend it by any and all means necessary. So for us,a dog that's jeopardizing our animals or anything really,is no different. But that's our prerogative. I'll leave it at that. I wish you luck. Any time you lose a loved one,especially to a predator,is just devastating. God bless.

(I will say this,if the dog or animal ,causing harm,is your own.....that would definitely be a harder decision to make. I haven't been in that situation. We just bought a 7 month old German Shepard. He wants to eat all of our animals. We have to keep him separate,on a leash or in his pen. If he was able to kill one of my furr babies....I think it would just be instinct to take him down. But,as I said,I've never experienced it. So I can't say for sure. So sorry to those of you who are in this predicament. )

QUOTE:I have been debating that one myself. I will let the other neighbor take care of the coyotes and since dog control and the SP can't get my neighbor to be responsible to his animal then I will do what I need to do to protect my rare flock. Which I think first will be to send him a bill for the replacement blue isbars

I wanted to correct what I said earlier about the ammo. As far as ammo for a shotgun,use target load for up close. And use either turkey load or double ought buck shot for further distances. You can also get a night vision scope for a 22 rifle and use that for nighttime as well as daytime. So you're having issues with your neighbors dog? Oh I had a similar situation. My husband and I were upfront from day one. We told them if their pit pups came onto our land and even attempted to harm us,an animal or a family member,we'd shoot to kill. We never had an issue. But the other neighbors did. Lost several chickens. Eventually,the animal shelter was called out. And they're being sued. For us,remedying the situation right from the start is easier by far! Good luck.

Omgosh I messed that all up.
1f606.png

Last edited:
No early hatchers for me this time around.

This is the hardest part for me, so near but no peeps yet. I'll check early in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom