September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Opinions on something:

I have both quail and chicken eggs in the same incubator (only have 1). The quail eggs are due for lockdown on Sat, but the chicken egg, set the same day, are not due for lockdown until after the quail eggs are supposed to hatch (day 17). Will they be ok in the same incubator, or should I try to invent a hatcher for the quail eggs? My main concern with doing this is the temperature. I have the incubator set up to run off of a computer which keeps it at a steady 99.5 degrees (thank you daddy
hugs.gif
), but it will only work with one bator at a time. My intention was to keep them together at the 65% humidity necessary to hatch, but open a window to turn the chicken eggs a couple times a day/mist the incubator after with a spray bottle to keep humidity up.
I, personally, like having a separate hatch for situations like this. Although, I have used the method you are suggesting in the past with favorable results. I think you should be fine hand turning the chickens so long as you don't keep the incubator open for too long.

If you use a spray bottle to boost humidity, how are you going to avoid getting the eggs wet?
You aren't. A light misting shouldn't be too much trouble at this point so long as the water temp is warm and not cool. Instead of misting with a spray bottle, adding a wet sponge can also work well.

duc.gif
I've got NEWS!!
duc.gif

First the bad news: The quail chick didn't hatch. I opened the egg earlier today and found the chick died before even pipping internally.
hit.gif
One of the two chicken eggs quit some time ago but wasn't noticed until candling/lockdown.

Now the good news: The last two ducklings have hatched and are happily sleeping in the brooder with their siblings.
celebrate.gif
2 males and 2 females.

Hatching results so far stand at 9:9 ducks 100%. 2:6 quail(so far, one more quail set(10) still to come). 3:5 chicken (still waiting to see if fourth egg will hatch).

Sorry... and CONGRATS... and good luck on the rest!

Opinions on something:

I have both quail and chicken eggs in the same incubator (only have 1). The quail eggs are due for lockdown on Sat, but the chicken egg, set the same day, are not due for lockdown until after the quail eggs are supposed to hatch (day 17). Will they be ok in the same incubator, or should I try to invent a hatcher for the quail eggs? My main concern with doing this is the temperature. I have the incubator set up to run off of a computer which keeps it at a steady 99.5 degrees (thank you daddy
hugs.gif
), but it will only work with one bator at a time. My intention was to keep them together at the 65% humidity necessary to hatch, but open a window to turn the chicken eggs a couple times a day/mist the incubator after with a spray bottle to keep humidity up.

I, personally, like having a separate hatch for situations like this. Although, I have used the method you are suggesting in the past with favorable results. I think you should be fine hand turning the chickens so long as you don't keep the incubator open for too long.

You aren't. A light misting shouldn't be too much trouble at this point so long as the water temp is warm and not cool. Instead of misting with a spray bottle, adding a wet sponge can also work well.

You can also stop turning the chicken eggs. I've known people to stop after day 14 with no ill effects. As long as your air cells on the chickens have grown well, those few days shouldn't hurt much.... JMO

Hello BYC
1f496.png
Itty Bitty silver duckwing

So adorable and tiny! Is it an OEGB?

My weak chick that needed help hatching, passed last night. She fought for a full week. I knew the poor little thing didn't have much of a chance, something about her was just 'off.' I only got one healthy, live female chick (they were black sexlinks) from my broody hatch. I'm very tempted to fire up my incubator again.

I'm so sorry. Its always hard.
hugs.gif

duc.gif
I've got NEWS!!
duc.gif

First the bad news: The quail chick didn't hatch. I opened the egg earlier today and found the chick died before even pipping internally.
hit.gif
One of the two chicken eggs quit some time ago but wasn't noticed until candling/lockdown.

Now the good news: The last two ducklings have hatched and are happily sleeping in the brooder with their siblings.
celebrate.gif
2 males and 2 females.

Hatching results so far stand at 9:9 ducks 100%. 2:6 quail(so far, one more quail set(10) still to come). 3:5 chicken (still waiting to see if fourth egg will hatch).

Awesome! They are so cute!

I'm sorry about the eggs that didn't hatch.

My weak chick that needed help hatching, passed last night. She fought for a full week. I knew the poor little thing didn't have much of a chance, something about her was just 'off.' I only got one healthy, live female chick (they were black sexlinks) from my broody hatch. I'm very tempted to fire up my incubator again.
Sorry about your chick. I have lost all that I have ever assisted with the exception of my rhodebar roo & it totally sucks!
hugs.gif

Hatching results so far stand at 9:9 ducks 100%. 2:6 quail(so far, one more quail set(10) still to come). 3:5 chicken (still waiting to see if fourth egg will hatch).​

Great hatch with your ducks, quail and chicks! Super cute!

Opinions on something:

hugs.gif
I don't think you will know how this will work unless you try....knowing that you could possibly jeopardize both the quail and the chickens somewhat. I would wait 8 hours between opening the cover and not open it if there are pips.

( I have been doing a staggered hatch on my chickens for the last month...humidity at 50%. I just pull them out of the turners at day 18. So far 100% hatch rate with my own eggs.)

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!

Went to put my Serama eggs into lockdown and already had 4 out of 7 pips! Two hours later, came back to this! They're early! And this little guy is peeping up a storm.

Yes everyone and congrats I would love to get a serama or two next year mostly just interested because my Mom loves our little oegb and I would love to give her a serama and watch her eyes pop out of her head. I've never actually seen one in person though so maybe bother of our eyes will pop out. Hence needing at least two one for each of us. DH2B will say they're too small to be counted as chickens anyways lol

Back
Top Bottom