September 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Yeah for all the hatching chicks.

Question: how long do the chicks in the incubator take to get dry? One hatched about 4 this evening and it still looks wet in some areas.

That will depend on your incubator's environment. They're good for 2-3 days on nutrients, so they have plenty of time to dry off without causing an issue there.

Hi

Hope you don't mind if I join in.

I set 8 black/blue copper marans eggs and one mutt egg under my favourite broody hen, Tasha, last Sunday 25th. I have already broody hatched 56 chicks this year and this was totally against my better judgement, but I had the Marans eggs and I can't refuse Tasha because she is a total star. I'm not sure if the Marans eggs will be fertile as I've only seen the cockerel mating the other hen in that pen and I don't like to set even numbers, so I threw a mutt egg in with them in the hope that she will at least come out of it with one chick. Keeping fingers crossed.

Yeah for all the hatching chicks.

Question: how long do the chicks in the incubator take to get dry? One hatched about 4 this evening and it still looks wet in some areas.

That's why I take them out as soon as they're walking well. I know I "can" leave them in but I don't see any reason to. They will dry out quick in the brooder and not be running all over my eggs or any slower chicks.

Last edited:
That will depend on your incubator's environment. They're good for 2-3 days on nutrients, so they have plenty of time to dry off without causing an issue there.
Ok that makes sense as to why they are still looking a little wet.

That's why I take them out as soon as they're walking well. I know I "can" leave them in but I don't see any reason to. They will dry out quick in the brooder and not be running all over my eggs or any slower chicks.
I am tempted to pull them out and might do that at the end of today as the other eggs in there have to be on lock-down tonight. Thank you for your suggestion. This is my first time hatching and it is stressful and exciting at the same time.
so far 3/10 BBS rescued eggs have hatched in the incubator.
4 Lav &2 BBS go on official lock-down tonight.

Ok that makes sense as to why they are still looking a little wet.

I am tempted to pull them out and might do that at the end of today as the other eggs in there have to be on lock-down tonight. Thank you for your suggestion. This is my first time hatching and it is stressful and exciting at the same time.
so far 3/10 BBS rescued eggs have hatched in the incubator.
4 Lav &2 BBS go on official lock-down tonight.

A lot of people say not to, because of humidity dropping in the incubator, but if you keep it high enough it isn't an issue. I have had chicks roll other eggs pip down, and in any case the chicks are trying to position to hatch in the eggs and don't need someone rolling them all over the place. It works for me; it's all about what you feel comfortable with and produces the results you want.

I decided to candle my guineas just now and surprisingly they are drawn down and a few internally pipped! I was not expecting them to hatch until next week, though I was uncertain on the actual hatch date since they were eggs I took from a broody right before she was killed. Another OEGB died on me. I opened it up and it had a good amount of yolk but then also what looked like a large blood clot in there so I think somehow a vein busted. :( I am down to two and both are internally pipped and chirping. I am going to stop buying eggs from really close because I get THE WORST hatch rates from them! It makes no sense.

All chicks hatched on schedule from 2AM to 330PM. Now to take a break until next year!!

Back
Top Bottom