September 2022 Hatch-a-long🌞

Looks like I may be joining in a week or 2! But they're probably going to hatch in October. Does that mean I'm part of the October hatch along?

Does anyone have experience with bantams hatching earlier than a standard size chicken? I've read some conflicting information that you need to lock down earlier for bantams and I have a mix of Maran and d'Uccle in the incubator.

Does anyone have experience with bantams hatching earlier than a standard size chicken? I've read some conflicting information that you need to lock down earlier for bantams and I have a mix of Maran and d'Uccle in the incubator.
I hatch primarily Silkies and mine tend to hatch day 20 instead of at 21 but it can vary. Not sure about the d’uccle. I’ve seen some folks with very tiny bantams like Seramas hatch on day 19.
I’ve also incubated Silkie eggs with standard eggs without problems.
What you can try is just stop turning the eggs at DAY 17. I normally stop turning anywhere from DAY 15 to DAY 17.
Wait until you see the first internal PIP before upping the humidity. If you have a good incubator it does not hurt to candle them quickly in lockdown as long as none of them have externally pipped yet.😊

I hatch primarily Silkies and mine tend to hatch day 20 instead of at 21 but it can vary. Not sure about the d’uccle. I’ve seen some folks with very tiny bantams like Seramas hatch on day 19.
I’ve also incubated Silkie eggs with standard eggs without problems.
What you can try is just stop turning the eggs at DAY 17. I normally stop turning anywhere from DAY 15 to DAY 17.
Wait until you see the first internal PIP before upping the humidity. If you have a good incubator it does not hurt to candle them quickly in lockdown as long as none of them have externally pipped yet.😊
Thank you for all the info! Today is day 17, I plan to candle one last time and stop the turning tonight!

This morning at day 18 I did a really quick candle of 2 of the d'Uccles before running to work and looks like they've started to internal pip, I wasn't expecting that because last nights candle looked like a very standard day 17. But the air sac was even bigger today and they were pushing into it. I wonder what I'll find when I get home... So glad I set up the brooder last night!

Last edited:
We have two d'Uccle pips! Day 18... The one on the left started on day 17.5

Attachments

• pips.jpg
    pips.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom