Our first two chicks have hatched! 😮🥰

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220909-151501.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220909-151501.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220909_150154.jpg
    20220909_150154.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 4
I risked life and limb to candle my broody's eggs again last night. All 5 are looking good. Roughly 1 week until hatch day! At some point, I'm going to need to try to move her down to the coop floor (my nest boxes are a little less than a foot off the ground). That should be fun for all concerned (not!).
This where mine is at. The Darnnit girl!

Attachments

• 20220827_120635.jpg
    20220827_120635.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 6
You have room for all these birds?
No, I have buyers lined up. I have a waitlist for my birds in general. Sometimes people have to wait several months before they can get them.😊
I have room for max 20 birds in my flock of 2 coops. Chicken math works both ways here, subtraction as well as addition.

Last edited:
I have a Niederrheiner hen who decided to go broody two weeks ago, so...I gave her 6 eggs last week. 🤦‍♀️ The eggs will be barnyard mix Easter Eggers - rooster is an Ameraucana/Olive Egger cross and hen is an Ameraucana/Rock cross. The broody hen is a year old, and this is her first time sitting, so we'll see how this goes. She's the lowest ranking hen in the flock, but she's doing a great job of scaring everyone else off the nest so far. I have to wear a leather glove just to check for "extra" eggs every day! She is taking her task very seriously.

Edited to add: Hatch day should be the 10th or 11th.

I have a "few" eggs...
7 quail, coturnix. 1 balut, day 18, hatch date: September 5, 2022
the others I found in a grocery store, day 3. one white quail egg, and the rest normal. Two are definitely showing veins.
4 shipped goose eggs. One dent, one saddled air sac, three detached air sac on day 3. hatch date: October 1, 2022, maybe earlier.
13 chicken eggs. two dark brown, maybe from marans, two light brown, one very light brown, one green, from an olive egger, two blue, from an ameraucana, hatch date: September 24, 2022.
One green, from an olive egger, one very light brown, one blue, from an ameraucana, hatch date: September 10, 2022
One speckled, from a welsummer, one brown-green, maybe from an olive egger. Hatch date: September 17, 2022
Two duck, day two, hatch date: October 2, 2022, maybe earlier, my waterfowl always hatched earlier.
The chicken eggs are most likely all going to be olive eggers, as they came from a farm with blue, green, and brown roosters and hens.

Today is Day 21 of my very first hatch! Out of 26 eggs, 13 had no fertility. Out of the rest, 7 made it to lockdown in our NR360. We're about 15 hours into Day 21, and 4 have external pips so far! One is much farther along. It's amazing to hear them chirping. Really hoping for some healthy sno Swedish Flower Hens!!! The entire process has been so unique, from the first veins and eyes to seeing a fully formed chick. 😍😍😍

Back
Top Bottom