September 2022 Hatch-a-long🌞

This morning there were 6! Waiting on one final egg, that's just starting to shake around. Had planned to leave everyone in the incubator, but one got its foot caught. 2 are still in there drying, and 4 were moved to the brooder. Humidity seems to have stayed up ok after opening and closing; dropped in a warm paper towel.
Congrats on your new babies!😍
Next time try putting down some non-stick shelf liner at lock down. It comes in rolls and you can buy it on Amazon and most home-improvement type stores. Helps prevent foot issues and also splay leg.😊

And 26.5 hours after the first hatched, this tired little one makes 7 on Day 22!

Attachments

• 20220910_172206.jpg
    20220910_172206.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 3
Ugh. I suspected this hen wouldn't be a great broody, and, sure enough...

Two partially hatched dead chicks this evening. It doesn't look like they were killed on purpose (no injuries or blood). I think she let another hen push her off the nest to lay, and their shells got crushed. Then, she must not have come back to the nest quickly enough, and they got cold.

Of course, they were both wheaten (this cross will be 50/50 wheaten or black). So that means the last two eggs, if they hatch, will probably be solid black chicks, which I did not really want. I'll give her until Monday to see if these last two hatch. Otherwise, I'll start trying to break her.

I always let my broody hens hatch in the flock. But I've never had one this goofy/stupid go broody on me before. She won't get a second chance!

Ugh. I suspected this hen wouldn't be a great broody, and, sure enough...

Two partially hatched dead chicks this evening. It doesn't look like they were killed on purpose (no injuries or blood). I think she let another hen push her off the nest to lay, and their shells got crushed. Then, she must not have come back to the nest quickly enough, and they got cold.

Of course, they were both wheaten (this cross will be 50/50 wheaten or black). So that means the last two eggs, if they hatch, will probably be solid black chicks, which I did not really want. I'll give her until Monday to see if these last two hatch. Otherwise, I'll start trying to break her.

I always let my broody hens hatch in the flock. But I've never had one this goofy/stupid go broody on me before. She won't get a second chance!
So sorry this happened.😞
The remaining chicks can still end up being wheaten, you never know.
Can you finish out the hatch in an incubator?

Nooooo. Lol

Welcome! Thought I was going to be alone on here!🤣
Would love to see a photo of your broody hen. Don’t know much about the breed other than they’re similar in appearance to Bielefelders.😊
Does incubation count in Hatch-a-Longs?
I am not personally going to incubate, my best friend is going to put my Polish and Polkie eggs in her 'bator in a few days.
I dont like fall hatchings. I had 12 of my Polish chicks that i was planning on keeping until I could pick my own faves.... A lady wanted 3 Polish chicks and 3 buff Silkie chicks. I took all 12 of my Polish and 8 Buff Silkies to her. She let her 2 little boys pick them... I ended up giving them 2 more chicks, one of each..
We met in a DG parking lot and ended talking for a long time.
My chicks were in 2 separate crates in the shade, in the grass, close enough people could see them while driving past the store...
An older couple drove up and asked me if they were for sale.....
I was caught off guard and the lady I had met said
"Yes, they are 12.00 each".
Which they were not. She got them for 10 each. LoL...
Anyway, they bought all of my remaining chicks minus Picasso, my cross beak buff Silkie chick, that I took along for the ride, just because..
I didnt want to sell ANY, even the ones her little boys picked out..
Anyway.. I drove an hour home.. Me and little picasso crying/chirping the whole way...

Me with no Polish chicks and Picasso with no siblings...

So, here I am, about to start over...
Black with White Crest Polish
&
Black Silkie x BWC Polish

Dang.... I got a little derailed...
Anyway, does incubation count? LoL

Back
Top Bottom