***SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG come join in***

I am jealous that you all know when yours are due to hatch! I have 14 eggs under my ameracauna, and I didnt know about them until sunday, so I have no idea when they are due! I did candle them and they are all mostly dark (except the air pocket) and a few I could see a small amount of veins. They should be due soon, I just wish that I knew! I also discovered sunday that my turkey hen is sitting on 12 eggs also! I candled them sunday night and didnt see any growth, so who knows. I have never tried to hatch any of her eggs, and I have never seen the to try to breed her.

congrats on everybodys new babies!

Last edited:
What's the earliest that I can candle the eggs? I am excited, because I have hatched Marans, (very hard to see) and some Olive eggers (still a colored egg) and now I have 14 Exchequer leghorns in the bator. (white eggs) They should be easy to see!

I also have six BCM's and six blue Orpington's. I put in four of my Brahmas with the BCM roo. I wonder if they will produce a medium brown egg?
smile.png

So I swore up and down I wasnt going to hatch anything else this year and what would you know--I have 10 eggs in the incubator. Thankfully it's only 10 because I've been known to fill the whole thing up!

I am setting 5 olive eggers (EE X BCM) and 5 BCM's from my flock. They are all pullet eggs (therein lies the challenge) so I am crossing my fingers.

This will be my first BCM hatch from my flock and I am so excited to see what they produce.

Here is my roo, Pierre at 6 mos old. Hopefully in 3 weeks we will have a few of his babies out!!
ya.gif

39823_cimg6600.jpg

39823_cimg6592.jpg

It might not be calibrated. It was one I got from radio shack, it didn't say anything about calibrating it so I didn't bother. It has gone down to 70%, when I candled the eggs I saw movement. My life was so much easier before I bought this hygrometer.

Quote:
take the hygrometer out and see what it drops to. maybe go and tomorrow get another one or calibrate the one you have overnight. it takes about 10 hrs to calibrate.

txmel: when I had it outside the bator inside the house it was reading anywhere between 42% and 50%. I have no idea if that would be an accurate reading or not. Do all hygrometers need to be calibrated or do some come already done?

Quote:
usually its a good idea to calibrate the hygrometer, because from my limited experience they are all off. i have 3 and all are off by at least 10 either to high or to low.

Back
Top Bottom