***SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG come join in***

I go into lock down tonight. I have 7 Exchequer Leghorns, left from 14. (2 were cracked on arrival, 2 more were seeping, and 3 were clear on day 10,) 6 BCM out of 7, 5 blue Orpington's out of 7. Those are all shipped eggs. I also put in 3 Brahma X BCM roo, and 3 Cuckoo Marans X BCM roo's of my own.

Although, I candled, I am not too sure that any of them are alive and growing. Not sure what I am seeing. Some of the eggs are hard to see through!

I want to keep them separate, did I read here that I could put a separator in the incubator between the eggs? Like a cardboard egg carton, so that all the ones in one corner are Marans, ect...

Also, does anyone hatch them in an egg carton? I have just laid mine down on their sides to hatch.

Quote:
What chicken thing? This chicken thing? Is there a chicken thing? I don't see a chicken thing. Who has a chicken thing? Do you see a chicken thing?

Is THIS a chicken thing?
41679_9-22-10oliveeggersplus2.jpg

41679_9-22-10threeplusthree.jpg

41679_9-22-10fbcm.jpg

41679_9-22-10-lockdown2-bjgeggs.jpg

41679_9-22-10sfeggs.jpg

41679_9-22-10sfplusrebeccar-com.jpg

All photos taken within the last 20 minutes.

I thing I have a chicken thing going on.....

Tomorrow is the big day but I swear i see nothing go on in there. I have this feeling that even though they developed nothing is going to hatch. I had no spikes or lows but still. Not feeling all that confident on this one. So probably Friday I will finish off my class with the kids on chicken life cycle for science with a " and just because they are fertile and are kept warm you might not always get chickies." sigh

Quote:
I was told that hatching them upright in an egg carton really helps. Especially on shipped eggs it increases your odds for sucessful hatching. Haven't yet done it as this is my first hatch but thats the way I am planning to do mine at lockdown. Be sure you cut the sides down in egg carton so that the chicks can get out.

As to what people use for dividers and how to do that, I am very intersted in tips for doing so myself. I want to keep my olive eggers and black copper marans separate until I take then out so I can mark them before putting them in the brooder. Its my first time and I have no confidence that I could tell them apart otherwise.

lau.gif
Yup, gryeyes, I think you got the chicken thing. I got it too.....I think it's spreading all over. Wonder if there's a fix for it?
hu.gif
Nah, I think all we can do is go with the flow, guess we just stuck with it til they find a cure....(I think my family is secretly planning an incubation intervention)
They just don't understand. I see empty cages, empty brooders......it does something to me...I just gotta fill 'em up. Can't help myself. I told them the only way they're getting that bator from me is to pry it from my lifeless hands......it's mine, and they can't stop me!!!

Quote:
What do you all do when you run out of room for all those extra chickens? I am just starting out but I really LOVE the idea of hatching. But I will be very limited to what I can keep in adult chickens.

Back
Top Bottom