September Hatch-A-Long

So you are only on day 20? I wouldn't be worried yet... tomorrow should be the big day unless they are a bit late
smile.png

Thanks Kada6305 and darkbluespace, I was getting ahead of myself. Hopefully my next post will be pictures of chicks!

Day 17 candled for the last time tonight. Can't see much as the eggs are a mass of black with the highlights of a few veins. Double checked incubation pictures and they still look good to me. My broody hen has been doing awesome, fingers crossed. I'm a bunch a nervous energy. I wont be able to see every well if the eggs start to crack cause they're under my hen. Guess I'll just keep a eye out for when she leaves the nest and keep an ear out for chirping
fl.gif
. Hopefully shes a good mom and I won't have to take the chicks away.

Day 17 candled for the last time tonight. Can't see much as the eggs are a mass of black with the highlights of a few veins. Double checked incubation pictures and they still look good to me. My broody hen has been doing awesome, fingers crossed. I'm a bunch a nervous energy. I wont be able to see every well if the eggs start to crack cause they're under my hen. Guess I'll just keep a eye out for when she leaves the nest and keep an ear out for chirping
fl.gif
. Hopefully shes a good mom and I won't have to take the chicks away.

We are on the same day... at least we can be nervous together!!
wink.png
I just candled mine too... not a whole lot to see but they are pretty filled up! I've got 13 going strong... can't wait!

My broody hens seem to hunker down for those last days.. but hopefully you'll be able to hear something. There is nothing like seeing a little head poke out from under mama for the first time!

We started with 5 eggs. I wasn't sure how she'd do so I didn't want to waste a bunch of money if she was gonna get bored and wonder off. We only lost one egg and that was early on. So hopefully we'll get four chicks out of this and even better if they're all female. lol We'd like to keep them but we can't have a rooster we live to close to the neighbors. I guess I'll find out in a few days. Fingers crossed for chipmunk pattern chicks.

We started with 5 eggs. I wasn't sure how she'd do so I didn't want to waste a bunch of money if she was gonna get bored and wonder off. We only lost one egg and that was early on. So hopefully we'll get four chicks out of this and even better if they're all female. lol We'd like to keep them but we can't have a rooster we live to close to the neighbors. I guess I'll find out in a few days. Fingers crossed for chipmunk pattern chicks.

Good luck!! I hope they all hatch... so exciting!!

You know the adage "We make plans and God laughs"? Well, I'm hearing some pretty good chuckling. Out of 40 sex-linked eggs set, I've got a grand total of three (3) pullets and one undetermined nonsex-link.

I've got 5 eggs in the bator left from the hatching and we're rounding up to day 22...What's left in the bator are 2 Welsummers and 3 OE and nobody's budging an iota towards pipping. The 3 Welsummers to hatch today were all boys. The remaining Cinnamon Queens to hatch today were all boys.

So.... Guess I'll be joining up for Round 2 in the September Hatch-a-long as I'm nowhere near the flock size I was hoping for.

Had to help one little CQ guy out of his shell...he pipped, zipped and took a nap and got glued in. We've nicknamed him Gummo. Had to take the CQ's out of the incubator as they were voraciously pecking into the eggs that had pipped and trying to cannibalize Gummo. Little velociraptors.... That's a RSL for you. Gummo is hanging out in the bator with the two late Welsummer guys. The rest are in the brooder and will be photo-ready tomorrow. Oh, yeah... The CQ's went straight for the feed trough.

Good luck to everybody on their lockdowns and hatches!

I may join in if that's ok?

I set 28 araucana shipped eggs on 8/29. I had 2 spots left in my incubator and filled them with 1 mixed Cochin /ameraucana/BCM and 1 Ameraucana/BCM egg from a neighbor on 8/30. I'm using a homemade incubator for the second time, had good success on my first hatch attempt in this 'bator 1.5 yrs ago.

Of course the USPS failed their "overnight" gaurauntee on the shipped eggs which arrived 2 days after shipping. Crossing my fingers for these araucanas. They are the tufted rumpless breed.

Have a flock of 6 right now...
1 RSL
1BO
2 RSL-ameraucana/BCM mix (olive eggs from my RSL mated with amer/BCM roo)
2 BCM (although I believe 1 of them is mixed from a different breed roo) bought on EBay.

Good luck everyone with your hatches!!! :)

I am joining Sept hatch. I had three hatch early, (Today) However, I have about 20 more in lock down! :)

Back
Top Bottom