Serama Chick Update Photos and a Very Strange Hatch (advice?)

Patchesnposies

Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern New Mexico
Our first batch of Serama eggs hatched out 11 days ago. Here is an updated photo:

7036_serama_babies_kidlets_reading_014.jpg

They are doing great! They are awesome little birds. They have so much personality. Each one is a little character!

We had our second batch of Serama eggs due to hatch on Wed and Thurs. They were put into the incubator 24 hrs apart.

This second time around we had way over 40 eggs from two different breeders. One of the packages was pretty banged up when delivered, most didn't even begin developing, the ones that did stopped early. We had ONE lone chick develop and die right before hatching. When we opened it up it was fully developed only it hadn't even started to absorb the yolk sac.

Out of the eggs from the second breeder we put 14 that had chicks inside them into the hatching bator. We had one pip on time, but it didn't make progress after the initial pip. We waited 24 hours and no zip. So, I decided I'd at least do that for him. After I did that, it popped itself out within minutes. It seems strong and healthy.

We had one more egg pip and had to help him get out, the membrane was stuck to his back and he wasn't able to move. The yolk sac was also absorbed. I do not believe he would have made it if we hadn't have helped him.

I noticed that we have one little egg rockin' and chirping. No pip yet. Nothing yet from the others.

Is it normal for them to come out every 24 hours like this? Our first serama chicks all popped out together in one night.

This is there 23rd day, how long do we wait? Should we intervene on the remaining eggs?

We had all of the eggs together and took out the first batch to hatch in the other bator, leaving the rest and then moving the ones that were viable outof them into the hatching bator when we stopped turning them. Would the difference in the number of eggs in there effect the temperature enough to delay the hatch like this?

Here is a photo of the two that did hatch:

7036_serama_babies_kidlets_reading_057.jpg

Thanks!

Deb

Very cute babies
love.gif

Sounds like its a hum issue, since you had to help the others get out. Whats the hum at ?? Did you open the bator a lot when helping the others (opening the bator to help them could of caused the others to be dry also)

You know I did open the incubator. But what I did was go through one of the windows and I refreshed the cloth with warm water everytime. The humidity hasn't dropped below 65% since I moved them into the hatcher.

It is staying between 65 and 70 %. That's what I couldn't understand. It does seem like it was a humidity issue.

When they were incubating we had a hard time keeping the humidity up. It would drop to 40-45% and we'd try to get it back up and for the most part did.

I do think it must have been too dry days 1-18 (we live in an arid desert climate) as some of the ones that quit had huge air cells. Not all of them though.

The ones that have hatched seem to have regular sized air cells.

So you think that the early humidity issues are causing the problems now?

See, the ones that hatched well were in there for part of the time with them, they were on their second and thrid weeks.

I dunno!
idunno.gif

Thanks!

Deb

Quote:
I think anything over 45ish for hum day 1-18 is getting high, I have found that dry incubation works great for me, I understand its not for everyone and we all have our own ways. But hum being to high day 1-18 can cause the chicks to drowned in there shell.

Even if the hum doesnt drop on the gauge it still gets screwy in the bator and can affect a hatch, I don't blame you for helping as I have also helped. But, I have noticed that once you help one chick or take one chick out that the rest of your hatch either needs help or doesnt hatch. This has got to be b/c of the hum drop even if not shown on the gauge. Quick is not always better !!

I dont think its a hum issue day 1-18 I think it has to do more with the bator being opened. Then again it could also have somthing to do with them being shipped !! Hard to tell somtimes !!

Back
Top Bottom