Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

*sigh* it's part of keeping chickens I'd kinda forgotten about....despite our best efforts sometimes chicks don't make it, and sometimes something comes and eats them all.

just have to provide the highest quality of life I can.

It does seem to be the way of things with chickens and animals and especially hatching. One of my six chicks didn't make it through the the night. It was one of the original three. The youngest three are doing really well. Six was a lot of chicks to put under them. These did not seem like super tiny chicks so I was surprised that they had such a hard time in the brooder. Hmmm... Maybe I need a more gentle source of heat for the tiny babies?!

I switched to a multi setting heating pad for brooding. Seems to be working well on its lowest setting.

So to early to tell for sure but it's looking like the little black serama is going to be straight feathered, but if it is it will definitely carry one silkied gene. Not going to hatch anymore this year ( unless someone drops free eggs on my door step ;) ) so I may be looking for a black silkied roo come spring

I switched to a multi setting heating pad for brooding. Seems to be working well on its lowest setting.

So to early to tell for sure but it's looking like the little black serama is going to be straight feathered, but if it is it will definitely carry one silkied gene. Not going to hatch anymore this year ( unless someone drops free eggs on my door step ;) ) so I may be looking for a black silkied roo come spring

I am going to try the heating pad, do yours go under it?

I should stop too but now I finally have some silkied eggs so I have to go for it! I should be realistic about winter though, it is only October and I am already sick of the rain. I should try to keep the bird population under control!

I tried doing the cave type, but it seemed like they got to hot, and I couldn't see them if they got into trouble. I set mine up like an L now, just have to make sure it's secure so they can't get trapped behind it or knock it over on others if they climb on top.

I would like to try for more serama, but I think I need to take a break on hatching.

I think 2 of my 5 chicks are silkied. I kind of forgot that half of them could be silkied, I was thinking all or nothing, so it is a nice surprise!

I have some Seramas due to hatch this weekend and I will try to get a heating pad brooder set up for them. I think I will put it over some hardware cloth. Hopefully it will be better for the tiny chicks, otherwise I have to find a mama for them ;)

I think 2 of my 5 chicks are silkied. I kind of forgot that half of them could be silkied, I was thinking all or nothing, so it is a nice surprise!

I have some Seramas due to hatch this weekend and I will try to get a heating pad brooder set up for them. I think I will put it over some hardware cloth. Hopefully it will be better for the tiny chicks, otherwise I have to find a mama for them ;)

Mine is looking way more straight feathered than silkied, but the feathers seem to have slightly more fretting than normal, so I suppose it could still grow out to be a low quality silkied. The chick is super small, but a little fire ball so it does have that going for it.

Well, I am having a hard time this week. My little Silkied hen is dying. I think it is an egg issue, but she is not exactly egg bound. I have done everything I can think of for her and it is not looking good. I really bonded with her so it is upsetting.

I had another freak death of a young Serama pullet on Saturday. I'll spare you all the details, but it was traumatic for me to find her. It wasn't a predator or anything like that, just a freak accident.

I have a couple of my silkied girls eggs on day 18 though they have very small air cells. I have five more of her eggs in mid incubation and I set the last two on the fifth with some other tiny eggs from my prettiest girls.

I will be glad if I can hatch some more silkied babies, I just am so sad about my little hen, she is so precious.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any helpful information on what automatic egg turning incubator is best for serama hatching? But something that is also at a decent price! Thanks guys
1f601.png

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any helpful information on what automatic egg turning incubator is best for serama hatching? But something that is also at a decent price! Thanks guys
1f601.png

Many people recommend hand turning Serama eggs. I hand turn mine. I am sure there are people that put theirs in a turner though. I have no advice for buying them.

Well, I am having a hard time this week. My little Silkied hen is dying. I think it is an egg issue, but she is not exactly egg bound. I have done everything I can think of for her and it is not looking good. I really bonded with her so it is upsetting.

I had another freak death of a young Serama pullet on Saturday. I'll spare you all the details, but it was traumatic for me to find her. It wasn't a predator or anything like that, just a freak accident.

I have a couple of my silkied girls eggs on day 18 though they have very small air cells. I have five more of her eggs in mid incubation and I set the last two on the fifth with some other tiny eggs from my prettiest girls.

I will be glad if I can hatch some more silkied babies, I just am so sad about my little hen, she is so precious.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I wish I'd seen it earlier. My daughter ended up putting a stick halfway through her foot so I've been pre occupied, but reading this made me want to cry.

Did your hen pull through? How about the eggs? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you

Back
Top Bottom