Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

My Serama hen that has five chicks, one is older, seems to have mostly pullets. The four are almost a month old and I could not see one that was going to be a boy, but I think I spotted one. I wonder if any more will pop up?

My silkied chicks are super cute! And I have this one little frizzled guy I started calling "Tom" because he reminds me so much of a turkey. He is a cute little mottled guy.

White x white silkies can hatch a variety of colors so I am sure it would be the same if bred to another breed. I have some Seramas that have a dominant white gene, but apparently silkies are more likely to be recessive white.

I am so sorry, i meant to write when you breed a white serama to a coloured serama, what colours will the chicks be? Will the all by pure white?

White is confusing, there are different types of white, and I think it would depend on the type you have, and also some factors of a colored male, like if he is silver based, etc.

In other news, my broody that hatched chicks 7 weeks ago gave me an egg a couple days ago! I was shocked she laid so soon. She's still raising the chicks, but I put them all in with the adults on Friday and she watches over them, but it's clear that she is cutting the apron strings. She even let the male mate her after being "home" for only a couple of hours. The little hussy :D

White is confusing, there are different types of white, and I think it would depend on the type you have, and also some factors of a colored male, like if he is silver based, etc.

In other news, my broody that hatched chicks 7 weeks ago gave me an egg a couple days ago! I was shocked she laid so soon. She's still raising the chicks, but I put them all in with the adults on Friday and she watches over them, but it's clear that she is cutting the apron strings. She even let the male mate her after being "home" for only a couple of hours. The little hussy :D

Yay chicks!! Weird for her to lay so soon!?

Haven't been active lately, but thought I'd give the update that my serama X EE hens started laying!

Part of me wants to start incubating them right now, but the more prudent side knows to wait till spring weather hits... I lost 4 young serama a few weeks ago when the weather dropped down to 14° and the heat in the garage went out.

The shells are also super thick so we'll have to see how that may effect hatching.

Haven't been active lately, but thought I'd give the update that my serama X EE hens started laying!

Part of me wants to start incubating them right now, but the more prudent side knows to wait till spring weather hits... I lost 4 young serama a few weeks ago when the weather dropped down to 14° and the heat in the garage went out.

The shells are also super thick so we'll have to see how that may effect hatching.

Ive been having that problem as new heat bulbs i buy e same week...but not i have 100 watt bulb and a heat bulb so if the heat blows they have the other bulb

That is such a cute egg!! So cool!

So sorry about the birds you lost! The freezing weather really took its toll. :(

If you need any Serama roosters, I have extra.

In not too long, I should have some silkied eggs.

Ive been having that problem as new heat bulbs i buy e same week...but not i have 100 watt bulb and a heat bulb so if the heat blows they have the other bulb

That is a good idea for an unheated area. I can't bear to have chicks too far away from me, in case a bulb goes out and I can't hear the "chick alarm".

It seems though, that the unexpected always happens.

I dream of having a barn or shop to keep my little birds in, but I would have to have a baby monitor to keep an eye on them! ;)

That is a good idea for an unheated area. I can't bear to have chicks too far away from me, in case a bulb goes out and I can't hear the "chick alarm".

It seems though, that the unexpected always happens.

I dream of having a barn or shop to keep my little birds in, but I would have to have a baby monitor to keep an eye on them! ;)

Mine are in a metal shed in a bird cage since i wouldnt be able to hear if the lamp blows but if the heat one did they wont freeze as they have they have the 100 watt flood light

Back
Top Bottom