Serama Hatch!

jadenburger

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2017
Hello BYC!

I'm very new to chickens, especially Seramas. I never realized that I had a rooster until my boyfriend pointed out that the hens were broody! (My rooster has a weird breathing problem... so his crow is very very soft) So, long story short, how long is the incubation period? One hatched on Friday, and there is still two more eggs. SHould I assume those are dead? Will the hens stop brooding when they are done?

...Also, can Serama chicks eat the medicated feed or is that too big for their little beaks?

One more thing: The hens decided to brood together. So, if I remove one from the broody box, will the other bird go back to a normal chicken life or always be broody and try to get into the broody box?

Any help would be appreciated for a chicken newbie. :) Thank you!

Incubation is 21days give or take a couple days. I'd candle the remaining eggs. Or just hold ur phone flash light up the them in a dark room. If you see a little round air sac on one end and all black then there's a chick and I'd give it a couple days. If nothing I'd toss it. Once you remove all eggs she should get up and around with her chick.
No answers for the other broody hen. She'll probably continue to act broody. I don't see other hens influencing broodiness as much as the fact that it's just that time of year! Any chick feed crumbles should be fine! Good luck!

20170810_121519.jpg
my 2 serama hens just hatched a pair of chicks, but now they won't let me scoop droppings out, will they be less aggressive after they are done sitting on eggs, or should I just brave the tiny beaks? They don't hurt but I really didn't want to upset them while they're hatching, humidity is 15% and if they get off the egg I'm afraid it'll quit.

Hello BYC!

I'm very new to chickens, especially Seramas. I never realized that I had a rooster until my boyfriend pointed out that the hens were broody! (My rooster has a weird breathing problem... so his crow is very very soft) So, long story short, how long is the incubation period? One hatched on Friday, and there is still two more eggs. SHould I assume those are dead? Will the hens stop brooding when they are done?

...Also, can Serama chicks eat the medicated feed or is that too big for their little beaks?

One more thing: The hens decided to brood together. So, if I remove one from the broody box, will the other bird go back to a normal chicken life or always be broody and try to get into the broody box?

Any help would be appreciated for a chicken newbie. :) Thank you!
Serama chicks will hatch at day 19 So If they start hatching on day 19 Dont freak out! The chick feed should be fine and as for the mothers if you were to take one off the nest she will continue to brood else where so i'd either break her by keeping her in an elevated wire cage without any bedding at all and just food/water for about 5 days. And if you dont want to do that i'd just let them brood together and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom