Serama Hatching Trouble

baby-blue

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Hello! It’s been quite a while since I last posted but here I am with more questions! I’ve had a Serama mama sitting on 6 eggs for the past 23-24 days. All babies still moving, most are starting lockdown. First internal and external pip was two days ago, chick was peeping and moving quite a lot. Last night around 8pm I opened a larger hole in the egg to see if the chick had died since all movement and peeping had stopped. Chick is still alive, I put it into a bator to raise the humidity and so that mama wouldn’t step/poop on the baby while it is hatching. At 6:30am today the chick is still alive, moving, peeping has increased exponentially. Heat is at 100 and humidity is at 65% and I’ve been trying to raise it. Should I continue assisting the hatch or leave the little one be? It’s starting to seem to be in distress but I don’t want to cause more issues. First time hatching so I’m quite nervous as well! Thank you!

4D8BF39D-08E4-4869-A59E-8DD7402C9F96.jpeg

Is it opening and closing its beak? If it is it's still absorbing yolk. If its not I'd get some cooking oil and dampen the membrane with your finger or a qtip. Put it back in the incubator and see if it can wiggle out. Usually after you do it progresses really fast.

That's pretty hot for that much humidity too. You need to get the temperature down just a little bit to encourage it to get out of the egg.

Is it opening and closing its beak? If it is it's still absorbing yolk. If its not I'd get some cooking oil and dampen the membrane with your finger or a qtip. Put it back in the incubator and see if it can wiggle out. Usually after you do it progresses really fast.
Yes, it’s still opening and closing its beak. I’ll give it more time. Thank you so so much for your answer! The nerves through this whole process have been agonizing. :fl

She just made it the rest of the way out of the shell a few minutes ago. Small amount of blood came out of the shell and her navel looks slightly swollen but leaving her be to fluff up for now. Thank you again for your help!

Back
Top Bottom