Serious about Chanteclers...

Pics
I bought a "Vitamin and Electrolyte" powder for the birds. Made for poultry, swine, cattle and horses. It is a power and is mixed with their water to a strength appropriate to species.

1593292490981.png

Last edited:
When we did our first hatch last September someone on this site suggested getting a watermelon box as a brooder; I called a couple of grocery stores and was told they did not give them away. Today I was at Costco and there were three of them, two of which were empty. I asked a nearby store employee if I could have one and he smiled and said yes.

I brought int home folded flat, box size is 46" by 39" by 26" (L, W, H). It did not have a bottom so I cut a piece of 1" Styrofoam to size, added pine shavings, my chicken mama pad, a ceramic heating bulb and tray for water and food. Then I used a piece of plywood and two pieces of tempered glass for the top; there are holes in the four corners and the glass sits about 5/8" inches above the lip of the box, thinking/hoping that should be sufficient for air exchange.

Very pleased I am!

IMG_20200627_181643 - Copy.jpg IMG_20200627_181704.jpg
IMG_20200627_181927.jpg IMG_20200627_193229.jpg IMG_20200627_194111.jpg IMG_20200627_194201.jpg IMG_20200627_194246_BURST001_COVER.jpg IMG_20200627_194252_BURST001_COVER.jpg IMG_20200627_194319.jpg

Yesterday was a productive day.

I made a trip into Ottawa, stopped at Ritchie's (100+ year old feed and garden store) and purchased:
  1. Another bag of 22% Protein feed (I use a non-medicated duck starter feed for both chicks and my layer flock; layers get both 16% and 22% on a daily basis mainly because I understand ISAs need more protein than non hybrid birds);
  2. "Vitamin and Electrolyte" powder to give to both my layer and chick flocks, now all I have to do is calculate how much powder I use to mix reasonable quantities with water for the birds (1 pouch of 100 grams makes 364 liters);
  3. AND (at long last) the fine mesh tray from Bed and Beyond to sift waste from the drop board.
As I once said on this forum I learn something new on an ongoing basis as I wander down the chicken keeper path. My recent Chantecler hatch experience has me doubting what I actually know as my results were very poor! I have decided to incubate a dozen of my Ameraucana mixes as a means to increase my layer population to the number I was hoping to get and also to "test" my incubation skills.

Nice job!!!!!

There are many factors that effect hatching. Starts with care of hens and handling of eggs prior to setting (cool temps and turned 2x a day and freshness).......to incubator environment.

Keeping notes thru incubating and reviewing can be helpful.

Nice job!!!!!

There are many factors that effect hatching. Starts with care of hens and handling of eggs prior to setting (cool temps and turned 2x a day and freshness).......to incubator environment.

Keeping notes thru incubating and reviewing can be helpful.

Thank you. However, I am not happy with the result and want to try to figure out how I can do better. I do understand that the process is much more complex than it appears so your thoughts on factors is appreciated. I will be reaching out to the breeder from whom I got the eggs for advice and discussion, need to be careful to not offend.

I have started another incubation with eggs from pullets in my original flock. Six eggs on so far, will put 12 on as they get laid I put 3 on around noon still warm. Will be interesting.

The more curious was the number of eggs that did nothing, only 21 of 62 hatched. Of those three batches of five hatched only 1 or 2. A couple more eggs from the two more prolific piped but did not make it out. I am considering contacting the breeder to see if he might have any explanations but trying to figure out how to ask so that he is not defensive; I do have 16 chicks and for that I am happy.
This is why it's good to monitor by candling to see what developed and what didn't.

I have started another incubation with eggs from pullets in my original flock. Six eggs on so far, will put 12 on as they get laid I put 3 on around noon still warm. Will be interesting.
Save eggs and put in bator all at once....or you 'll have staggered hatch which can be problematic.

If you haven't asked the breeder already about the groups that didn't hatch already, you could always ask if he himself has any groups that seem to have lower hatch rates. If he does and they're the same, there you go. Did you compare humidity levels when you got eggs to see what he prefers for hatching. Certain people have certain 'golden' humidity levels

Back
Top Bottom