Serious about Chanteclers...

Pics
If you haven't asked the breeder already about the groups that didn't hatch already, you could always ask if he himself has any groups that seem to have lower hatch rates. If he does and they're the same, there you go. Did you compare humidity levels when you got eggs to see what he prefers for hatching. Certain people have certain 'golden' humidity levels

Jacin,

I did keep track of what hatched from each of the 3 families (one was also marked as from pullets and adults). I am drafting an email to the breeder but being careful. I want to learn not offend.

Thanks!

Hatching has many learning curves...but you've hatched before, right?
...or was your sis in charge of that one, and you had more time?

Sister brought the eggs, bought the incubator (POS, worked once) and took minute by minute care of the whole process. I learned a bit but not like hand's on. I was building the 1st coop during that period so was pretty busy then as well.

I have a lot to learn...

I did keep track of what hatched from each of the 3 families (one was also marked as from pullets and adults). I am drafting an email to the breeder but being careful. I want to learn not offend.

Thanks!

You are on a good track. Show your interest in learning. And perhaps have another person read your message if you think it necessary.

A local man famous for his buckeyes was forthright and honest about his birds when I spoke to him.... what I expect from a great breeder. ..... and I in turn was very respectful and stuck to the facts......Later , I heard his sons took over the flock..... it had a fifty year history..... We learn when we are humble. You already realize this.

A male Chanty.

PS I am searching for copies of Arthur O. Shilling's illustrations for the Chantecler if anyone has any leads. Also searching for an illustrated APA Standard Book.

Male Chanty.jpg
from back in the day.

I hope you find the illustrations you are looking for

I purchased a booklet from APA Black and While Illustrations. It has the illustrations used in 1922 through 1983 editions of the Standard including the Chantecler I am hoping. Arthur O Shilling was a guiding light of the APA through that period (or some thereof).

I would love to find some signed Limited Edition prints for the Chantecler, unlikely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom