Serious leg problem in newborn chick

Legbar Lover

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2018
I hatched eggs for a friend. All but 2 have been out of the incubator for over a day. I have 2 late eggs. One of those eggs finally hatched. Baby isn’t quite right but I decided to wait and see how she goes. After about 8 hours after hatch I noticed her legs, both of them, are right up against her body, locked there. She can’t move them, at least it appears that way. It’s like the legs are in the same position they were in the egg. When she came out she still had a really big tummy and her cord was still attached. One of her legs was caught in the cord so I fixed that to give her a better chance or her insides may have just came out. I wonder if I did the damage when I did that?

Any idea if she will come out of it? Any idea what may have caused it? I have never had any sort of leg problems before but these eggs are not mine. I do know the hens are well loved and cared for but I did ask what she feeds them. I like to learn all I can so I don’t make the same mistake twice. It kills me when I have to cull a chick and I think I might have to.

I don’t think you can see much in these, but her legs are locked right up against her body. Very sad, and I can’t figure out what could have happened. The hatch rate on my legbars in this batch was near perfect. Just one egg pulled on day 7. My friend’s hatch rate was poor. I think I pulled 5 at 7 days, which seemed ok at the time, she gave me 30 something eggs. 7 eggs started to develop and died. I did not open them though. Can’t do it. Besides this one chick I will have to cull, there was another that was alive in the egg that went unpipped until this morning. I didn’t want to help her in fear of another crippled chick.
F9A0F9E7-FDB9-488C-BF3A-5B31CA1EB549.png
FCCFD465-9127-463E-AE44-AEF197EC729E.png

Attachments

• 0CC540BF-35E9-48DC-B363-8952D8097802.png
    0CC540BF-35E9-48DC-B363-8952D8097802.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Just looked 16 eggs in a batch of 30 something did not make it. Next time I will count the eggs I get. Maybe a little more than 50%. That is terrible.

I don’t think you can see much in these, but her legs are locked right up against her body. Very sad, and I can’t figure out what could have happened. The hatch rate on my legbars in this batch was near perfect. Just one egg pulled on day 7. My friend’s hatch rate was poor. I think I pulled 5 at 7 days, which seemed ok at the time, she gave me 30 something eggs. 7 eggs started to develop and died. I did not open them though. Can’t do it. Besides this one chick I will have to cull, there was another that was alive in the egg that went unpipped until this morning. I didn’t want to help her in fear of another crippled chick. View attachment 1716242 View attachment 1716243
The poor thing.
I don't know what causes that - hopefully someone else will chime in.
Nutritional deficiency in parent stock, genetics are things that come to mind, but I'm sure the list would be long.

My friend that has some good general knowledge said the legs were fused. No hope, no fixing it. If they were fused in a different way tie might have been saved.

Back
Top Bottom