Serious problem! Update pg 7.She's home.

*looks very worried*

hmm.png

It's wore than I thought.... The vet said at first she thought it was Sour crop or there was something stuck in her windpipe not allowing her to breathe. She offered me a few choices. The first was to take her home with antibotics and give them to her or leave her with the vet so she could take X-rays,blood tests,give her oxygen, and some other stuff. I chose choice number two...Even though it will cost around $400 at the least. The last time I seen her she was in a tank with oxygen in with her. About 5 hours later she called. The first words I heard from her "it is worse than I thought". She said that Sandy couldn't breathe because she had internal bleeding from her intestines. The X-rays showed that she had ate to much Crushed Granite/w oystershell and it was making her intestines bleed. She was still alive the last I heard. The vet said that she's going to try and give her some stuff that will stop the bleeding and she will try and get the blood that leaked out out. When I heard this my heart sank..All I can do is pray and cry right now. I'm so broken..It's my fault she ended up like this. I don't think I'm ever going to get chickens again. The other pullet Krispy and Sandy's man Kernal are all depressed. He hasn't crowed all day. The only thing that can save her now is a miracle...

Oh sweety. Find out if this is really going to help before you go further. Don't let it prolong her pain if there's not any hope.

As far as any other chicks go, take that one day at a time. I'm not going to offer platitudes, the silly things creep into your heart though. (which I'm sure you know cause I read your page about how you wound up with the silly cluckers)

It's my fault she ended up like this.

I know exactly how you feel, because I just lost my dearest chicken and I blame myself for not knowing exactly the right thing to do for him. But no, it's not your fault. I provide crushed oyster shell and granite for all my chickens, and that has never happened to them. Providing crushed oyster shell and granite is standard - the mystery is why she chose to eat so much of it.

You really should try to get your sleep and eat as you normally would, so you can be at your best for her. It is wonderful that you found a vet that will care for her. I do think they know when they are being cared for. I am hoping for the best for both of you.​

It's not your fault. It's very strange for a bird to overeat such things. I'm glad you brought her to the vet - chickens are very tough and she may be okay once they get the bleeding stopped. Crops and gizzards are meant to have gravel in them and she should pass this okay. Back in 2005 one of my hen ate staples!! I saw her do it and had her x-rayed....they (3) got lodged in her gizzard where they were eventually broken down (thanks to the rocks!) and she was all clear in her next x-ray. She seemed fine. I'm just trying to show you that they eat all kinds of junk - and it doesn't always hurt them. Please go easy on yourself - things happen!! Keep us posted - we're concerned too.
XXXXXX

PS I also had a crop impaction battle that needed surgery...so my little barred rock (pictured in my avatar) went through 3 surgeries! She is incredibly special to me. I didn't have much money, but haven't regretted saving her life for a second. She and I bonded so much over that ordeal. I paid close to $1000. She's paid me back with love ten times over. <3

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom