Seriously Injured Goose

@casportpony We've given chickens a drop of Metacam every 24 hr in the past to help with pain and inflammation in the first few days of recovery. Do you have any experience with Metacam in geese?

Unfortunately, it's just me here right now so holding and plucking at the same time was a bit of a battle. In 4 hours or so my reinforcements will arrive -- will be sure to post a picture then.

@casportpony We've given chickens a drop of Metacam every 24 hr in the past to help with pain and inflammation in the first few days of recovery. Do you have any experience with Metacam in geese?
I have experience with meloxicam and peafowl. Which meloxicam do you have, the 1.5 mg/ml or the 0.5 mg/ml?

@casportpony in your experience any particular challenges/tricks in tube-feeding a goose? I've tube-fed many a chicken with Kaytee.
Sorry, I forgot to answer this. Since a goose's neck is so long, I find myself using the entire length of my 16" tubes. I guess if the tube were to come off the syringe there is a chance the goose could swallow the tube, so I guess that's my only concern. Geese, turkeys, peafowl, and some ducks are bigger than chickens, so figuring out how to restain them can be a little challenging, but if you're used to tubing chickens I am sure you will find a way to tube your goose.

In your experience any particular challenges/tricks in tube-feeding a goose?

I know you asked someone else, but I did tube-feed my late goose Keld. I got the tube and the syringe from my vet - the tube had a rounded point with big holes in it, so no sharp tube edges could damage the esophagus on the way in or out. I was instructed not to insert the tube too far; it could damage the crop. I think we inserted it about 8-10 inches.

I had someone hold the goose on their lap with one arm, and hold the head/neck with the other hand. I would open the bill, insert the tube and press the syringe.

It was quite tricky to hold the head and open the bill. Their neck muscles are really strong, and they can actually damage/dislocate their necks trying to pull their head loose from the grip. The first few times we were three people: one holding the goose, another holding the head and neck, and the third opening the bill and sticking the tube in.

Opening the bill is very easy if you stick your thumbnail in directly from the front and use it like a crowbar. I tried to open it from the side at first; that proved nearly impossible.

The faster we did it, the less stressed the goose would be. Fortunately, we improved over time; we could do it in less than 15 seconds after the first week. We had everything laid out and ready before we lifted her. She was fed three times daily.

The feed would have to be quite viscous, otherwise the syringe was too hard to press. And before we started the process, I pressed the feed through to fill the tube, so I wouldn't insert air in her. I had to be careful how I handled the tube after that, because the feed would start to drip out on its own.

My goose had had surgery, and she wasn't allowed to swim in her pond for 12 days after; only "bucket baths" or a tub of clean, warm water.

Thank you all so much for your advice & help! We just finished cleaning up the wound -- the great news is that it looks like the abdominal wall is intact & no leaks that we can see. Yay!

Because of the way the skin tore (front to back) + how heavy her darn fat rolls are (pulling the wound down and open) + the location of the wound, it's pretty much impossible to bandage her. When vetwrapped, she can't stand. So it looks like it's off to a vet tomorrow for a Penrose drain & stitches.

GEESE.

Thanks again -- and many thanks to @casportpony for your meloxicam dosage suggestion. She's resting comfortably now, and awaiting her "spa day" tomorrow. Will post an update after our vet visit.

Back
Top Bottom