Back at it again with more questions

PonderingKiwi

Chirping
Mar 19, 2023
Just brought one of our geese inside. She got in a fight with the pug and there was blood on her feathers.. had to check for mortal wounds. She just had a little scrape. But as we’re checking her over.. we pull apart her wings and see this awful bald spot! It’s on her saddle part. Just above her tail but under her wings. We got really close with a flashlight and I didn’t see any mites or lice or anything. Any ideas? As far as we know we have 2 female geese. One might be a gander.. maybe.. but if it is.. it’s smaller than this one. Speaking of the other one.. we checked her/him too. No bald spots. No ugliness of any kind. Just soft and super fluffy. We tried to flip him/her on their back to see if we could see a goose weenie, but we didn’t see anything and I didn’t wanna poke around too invasively.

Anyway. Bald spot. Any ideas? The absence of bugs puts me at a loss.

Attachments

• IMG_1739.jpeg
    IMG_1739.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1740.jpeg
    IMG_1740.jpeg
    449.3 KB · Views: 7
Looks like somebody/something is nibbling on her. Under normal circumstances you will not see a gander's penis as it is kept internally.
We watched a couple videos on vent sexing adult geese and tried to do that.. didn’t see anything wiener like. But also was too scared to be as rough as the people in the videos 🤣

I can’t imagine what/who she’d be letting pull her feathers out like that. I know roosters do that to their hens.. do geese do something similar? Poor lady

Mites could be to blame and she could do that to herself if she’s itching excessively in response, you’d probably see her preening, grooming, and itching herself more frequently if she has mites.
Mites can be treated by administering an oral dose of ivermectin horse paste at 0.02ml per pound. You’ll need a 12 ml syringe to extract the correct amount out of the horse syringe and then administer it to your goose, I prefer 12 ml syringes because they’re easier to maneuver without slipping down their throat like smaller ones can do.

It could also be her partner as Sourland said. If that’s the case you could apply blue-kote to the area and it usually keeps the other from nibbling.

Mites could be to blame and she could do that to herself if she’s itching excessively in response, you’d probably see her preening, grooming, and itching herself more frequently if she has mites.
Mites can be treated by administering an oral dose of ivermectin horse paste at 0.02ml per pound. You’ll need a 12 ml syringe to extract the correct amount out of the horse syringe and then administer it to your goose, I prefer 12 ml syringes because they’re easier to maneuver without slipping down their throat like smaller ones can do.

It could also be her partner as Sourland said. If that’s the case you could apply blue-kote to the area and it usually keeps the other from nibbling.
It can’t hurt to do both solutions, right? Just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom