Seriously need some information ASAP so worried

Well she's defo just broody!! Let out again today and after a bit of food & water up she popped back up to the coop and sat :-/ so I decided to go to the gym for a couple of hours and see if when I got back there was any change...simple answer no lol so took the step of taking her out the coop (which wasn't easy as she growled , bite ,sqwacked ) then once I got her out not a single egg in the coop? Ghost egg? Not sure if this is normal so I've decided to lock the coop is this a good idea (only for a few hours) and I thought would closing the nesting spot where she sits help?

A broody hen will sit on an empty nest quite happily - or rocks, or golf balls, or anything she can find. It makes little difference to her. Rather than closing her out of the coop (which also means you've closed all the birds out) you are better off "breaking" her broody state if you don't want to indulge her. Locking her out will simply result in her finding another place to nest down. The most effective approach, imo, is a "broody buster" cage - a simple, wire cage that will comfortably hold your bird, water and food. Place it elevated off the floor (ie on blocks) so that air can flow up under her. Don't place any bedding in the cage. Leave her in this for three days and then let her out - if she still shows broody behavior, put her back in and repeat until she shows normal behavior at release.

I'm worried about her hurting / stressing her out :( I have watched a couple of YouTube videos and it seems fine but being new at this I'm probably just over worrying lol thanks for the advice

Also I know this will sound silly but where will I leave her in the cage? Outside the coop? I stay in Scotland and it's not the warmest of places lol or in my garage? Just no breeze in there?

Back
Top Bottom