Seriously !!!!!!!!

I am so sorry you are having these problems. I don't know where you got them, but they should have gotten to you a day sooner.

I got one batch of chicks from Missouri (I am in West Virginia) and they came in one day. The second batch came from Texas and they were here in two days.

Last year I had a batch come in three days and they never did do well.

I realize this does not help with this bunch of chickies, but perhaps next time you can find a hatchery that can get them to you faster. (I can let you know which ones I have had good luck with, if you like.)

With these guys--have you tried hard boiled egg yolks sprinkled on their feed? Sometimes that helps with chicks that are not doing well. And adding sugar or electrolyes to their water, perhaps.

Good luck. I hope it starts looking up. It should be more fun for you, and probably it isn't anything you are doing, but hatchery problems.

Catherine

I'm sorry you're having a tough go of it as well.

I got my ten chicks at the feed store in February because I was affraid to order them myself.

Of the 100 chicks the store ordered from Privet, only one was DOA.

Feeling accomplished at raising the ten standard chicks that are now 17 wks old, I went and picked up four banties (2 silkies 2 cochins) at another feed store that are now 8 wks old.

One of the cochins I picked out was itty bitty and all it did was sleep. Didn't eat and drink on it's own. When it was very obvious the little darling wasn't going to make it, I had to cull my first chick. I wished I had done it sooner to avoid it's suffering.

I have hopes of never having to do that again but do realize when you have livestock and/or pets, the reality is you have to put pets down.

FYI - a chick doesn't have pasty butt if they ARE pooping. Pasty butt is dried poo that is plugging the vent and preventing the chick from going. It's ok for them to have a little poo on their feathers under the vent. As they get older, they will clean themselves.

I hope you're able to enjoy your little ones soon.

Have things improved?

The experience you've had so far would definitely take the fun out of it!
hugs.gif

I wonder why it took three full days for them to get to you - if you try again, I think it would make a big difference if you could find chicks locally. It's nerve-wracking enough when everything starts out well, but three days in transit really handicaps the situation.

Hope your chicks are doing better.

I'm thinking that if it took 3 days it was more a problem with the shipping than the hatchery. I lost 2 of my first 19. Six weeks later i got my second order which i drove 2 hrs. to pickup. They were home in the brooder by 5 p.m. the day they were hatched. I had much better luck with the ones i picked up. The first batch arrived 18 hrs after they left the hatchery so it was a quick delivery but still caused problems. So sorry about your losses but 3 days is streaching to limit and your probably lucky that you didn't loose them all. Sounds like your thru the worst of the problems. Try to relax and enjoy them now. Best of Luck

Just wanted to give you all an update.... Brian and I moved the heat source away like a few of you recommended and saw some much needed improvement
ya.gif
. After an all nighter and every 30 minute feeding sessions the lethargic chick is now eating and drinking on her own and seems to be on her way to better days. In fact they are all doing better, I feel some weight off my chest today. Here is a link to our chick page if you want to see them....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=26708-chick-a-chicks

Brian or I will update more later, I have to run back to the office.

Last edited:
Quote:
Given the experience, I don't think I would make chicks endure such a journey again. We live in Northern CA and the chicks came from My Pet Chicken in CT. I don't think it was anybody's fault, other than ours for making them travel so far.

To make matters worse, the little heating pad was covering the green nutrient gel they put in the box, so the poor little chicks couldn't get to it.

We tried the local outlets, but nobody was ordering bantams nor would they do any special orders.

Earlier to today there was a post about someone in the bay area giving away a small bantam flock!

I understand, though, about the journey not seeming like a big deal prior to their arrival- it could be as easy as a flight and a car ride...or not! We just don't know. Some seem to make it in record time with no issues, some never make it. It's a toss-up.

Now...when one goes broody, you get yourself some eggs to hatch under her and you'll never have to worry about orders again!

Ahhhh, the addiction is pervasive, isn't it?!!?

Back
Top Bottom