Set 9/4 48 Araucana eggs. Any hatch buddies?

I candled my Cuckoo marans eggs tonight day 6. I had to chuck out 4 of them but the 8 that are left look good. One of them looks really dark inside...is it possible to start to incubate during shipping if it is warm weather???? weird?? Still keeping my fingers crossed :)

I am horrible at candling eggs.. I just leave em all in and hope no bad ones go kablooie all over...
hmm.png

I candled my eggs last night at 5 days along and could see veining in 7 of the 9 Polish eggs since they are white, and the four brown eggs from my Blue Laced Red Wyandottes were glowing red (not yellow which means clear) so they may being growing as well, but brown eggs are harder to see into
celebrate.gif

Quote:
When I am not sure on my eggs (can't see into them when candling) I put my nose up to the vent hole and smell for anything rotten! You should be able to see movement in the eggs at 7 days when candling, which will help you determine if they are growing
wink.png

I tried candling again. Actually saw movement in some !! Yay !!
big_smile.png
I'm still afraid I might throw out a chick by mistake, so I'll probably check again next weekend before I cull any eggs.
hmm.png

Quote:
I like to candle on day 7, 10 and 14 so if I see blood rings or no veins (when chick dies veins disappear) I can remove those eggs that have a possibility of exploding and getting bacteria on the other eggs which could cause the other embryos to die. I candle more because it is fun, and I don't have to take out the eggs because I have a high intensity candler that I just put on top of the egg and the light shines down into the egg and lights the contents up.
big_smile.png

I candle at 7, 14, and 18 days. Sometimes I do a spot candling if I have a staggered hatch going and have the incubator lid open to get other eggs out. The dog loves to eat the infertile/dead ones. Since he's already tied up because he's a chicken killer, I go ahead and give them to him. He's happy, and I don't have them in the trash!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom