Set Eggs 07-02-11 Anyone else

59103_new_chicks.jpg

My Appenzeller Spitzhauben

11 of my 14 BBS Orpingtons hatched yesterday - I'm thrilled!!! They were from Bargain here on BYC...talk about great shipping & fertility! Yayyy!!

Also, 4 out of 4 of my EE's hatched (put them in just to fill the 'bator). One is still in the 'bator - looked a little weak, so we'll keep our fingers crossed!

I have 9 Speckled Sussex eggs in there for a staggered hatch - should hatch starting on Weds. of this week....we'll see how it goes. *shrug* Never done a staggered hatch before...so we'll see...

My last chick for this week is due to hatch on Tuesday. I was sure it was dead because of lack of movement. Well, Last night I heard id chirping. This morning it has pipped the outer shell. So, hopefully I will have the last baby in a few hours.

A sixth chick was hatched just before midnight. It's older brothers and sisters are already bigger and more active by comparison. It's amazing the difference a day makes.

I'm glad I found this thread!
smile.png
this is my second attempt at hatching, and I'm a nervous wreck!!!
barnie.gif
....AND, I screwed up right from the very beginning!
he.gif

I staggered the "set" dates, instead of storing the eggs and setting them at the same time. I have only one hen of the breed I'm incubating the eggs for, so I only get one egg a day.... I set up the incubator and put the first egg in on July 3rd, then the 4th, 5th and 6th.
hmm.png

July 3rd egg has no signs of pipping, July 4th egg hatched overnight and July 5th egg has a pip!
pop.gif

I have a 3 day and a 2 week gap in my staggered hatch. Most of my chicks hatched last Thursday and Friday, but the 3 day younger egg was not showing any signs. My husband had decided if it hadn't hatched by tomorrow we would toss it. Last night at bedtime, we heard a chirp, this morning a pip. I had to moisten the membrane, I can't raise the humidity too much, or I could ruin the rest of my hatch. Hopefully s/he will be hatched out in the next few hours. I had to help 1 of the babies from the last batch, and I don't want to have to again.

Back
Top Bottom