Set eggs today3/11 Due 4/1 for Easter! 1st ever hatch! Please join me!

RockinRainbow

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 25, 2010
W. PA
:)This is my first ever hatching experience! I received 9 Sizzle (Silkie-Frizzle) eggs from upintheholler,
3 Porcelain d'uccles, 3 Mille Fleur d'uccle's and 2 Blue Ameraucana's from MPC yesterday.

I left them set, small side down, overnight, then placed them in a Thermal Air bator this morning at 7:30 a.m.

I would love to have a hatching buddy to share this hatching exerience and their knowledge!
I have 3 kids that are so excited about this first-time hatch, and if all goes well, we should have new chicks for Easter.

47725_100_0745.jpg

Last edited:
I will join you. Set 8 Cochin eggs today, and first thing tomorrow I will set 15 asst. eggs. We have a Brinsea and it works great. Granted every time I buy eggs my Husband tells me exactly how much money the incubator is in the hole. Guess it is time to start selling some chicks, he is all about turning a profit or breaking even. I am all about chickens!!!!!!!

Good luck on your hatch, I hope the kids are having fun with it. May be they could use it as a science project one day.

Quote:
Good to hear.
I'll set my first hatch (in a Brinsea or ever even) here in a couple days to hatch along.. setting quail, so I have a couple days to fiddle with exactly how I'm going to keep humidity right.. it still falls too much while I'm at work. Any suggestions for that?

ETA: which means.. I'll join ya!

Last edited:
Quote:
Good to hear.
I'll set my first hatch (in a Brinsea or ever even) here in a couple days to hatch along.. setting quail, so I have a couple days to fiddle with exactly how I'm going to keep humidity right.. it still falls too much while I'm at work. Any suggestions for that?

ETA: which means.. I'll join ya!

I find that using a sponge in the bottom will keep the humidity stable. I had to do this to increase humidity for lockdown, I took two brand new sponges put them kitty corner to each other in the water tray and soaked them. It worked well for me. Good luck with your hatch.

I'll join too! I just set a dozen of my own eggs today!

I already have eggs in there due to be put in the hatcher next Tuesday. So far, my hatch rates have been very disappointing (maybe due to eggs being shipped
idunno.gif
)... But, I just had a black copper maran chick hatch on Monday, though, so maybe my luck will get better.
fl.gif

Anyway, I'm excited because I have never set a dozen of my own eggs, and I HOPE this hatch goes well for all of us!!!

Great! I'm glad to have some hatching buddies! I set up my incubator last week to test it before the eggs came in.
I found that the temperature varied. So I placed a "seed germinating mat" under the incubator to help with the temerature
fluctations in the room. It seems to be working great! The temp has been very consistent!

I ordered 12 hatching eggs, expecting a 50% hatching rate. (6 chicks). Well, I was shipped 17 eggs! What will I do if
they all hatch! It will be fun to see what happens!, but I may need a coop expansion!

Do any of you have any sizzles (silkie/frizzles) or frizzles? I'm excited to see what I get!

My 3rd grader is going to be hatching eggs in school for their science unit. The teacher already asked me
if I wanted the chicks when they're done! So we're doing her science unit early!

Thanks for the sponge suggestion. That's a great idea for when I go to lockdown.

btw -- I read some of ChickyLaura's blog -- we like the Walton's too!!! and Little House on the Prairie!
They both have chickens! and my kids love these shows. We watch them as a family for our special movie nights.

Yes, I have a Frizzled Turken:

26636_100_3280.jpg

I swore up and down Phyllis Diller was a girl! Phyllis started crowing today.
th.gif

Just what I need - another roo. Did I mention that I live in town and have 3 roos??? The main roo crows in the morning, but is mostly quiet throughout the day. The "middle" roo, a silkie is just the sweetest darn roo I've ever seen. His crows are more like quiet cat noises. And now Phyllis??? I hope he stays a subordinate roo! I'd love to be able to hatch some eggs from him!!!

I'll join in! I set 6 bantam phoenix from boggybottombantams this morning and set 12 turken and turken mixes of my own chickens yesterday. Hoping for better luck this time around:fl

Back
Top Bottom