Set my very first eggs today (due March 24th) - need a hatching buddy!

Well done everybody for holding out on candling. I however couldn't resist peeking in the 'bator tonight...day five AND I SAW VEINING ON BOTH EGGS I PEEKED AT!!!!
big_smile.png

This is so wonderful for me as my first hatch was a total loss.
So to all of you on your first hatch...if it goes wrong...do not de deterred.
I'm so pleased right now. I have eleven Japanese Black Tail Buff bantams and five Americana bantam eggs in the bator.
I think I will bypass candling on day 7 and do it at day 10 or even 14 now to preserve a steady temp/humidity in the bator as my husband has stopped keeping the furnace going 24/7 and the house is not a steady temperature. It really does seem to drive the temp down in the Hovabator when we have the heating off.
My temp is 101.5 on top of the eggs in the still air bator. If I put the thermometer to the side it reads around 99. Humidity has been in the upper thirties to mid forties. I did add water tonight as I thought the air sacs looked quite big. I'll go hunt for a post that has the correct air sac sizes.
Good luck everyone.
smile.png
I promise no more peeking!
smile.png

Last edited:
Wow... So much of the SAME thing which I am going through myself as well as my wife...LOL

My Temp. has stabalized at 99.6 degresse and the humidity is at 53%, hhmmm, Not sure what to with that right now, probably won't do anything unless someone knows something I don't, Which is EVERYONE Because this is my 1st hatch...
fl.gif

My eggs should be ready on March 30

Good luck to you all~

Brett

Last edited:
I love to hear folks hatching eggs, I do not do that any more, it drives you nuts. I remember very well hatching. Now I just don't take the time. I wish you all the success in your hatching, I'll keep checking back to see what your hatching % is.
smile.png

Sounds like all is going well for everyone. I have been good-I haven't peeked yet.
Temp & humidity have been holding steady all day!

Whats this waiting to candle on day 7 or 10?
barnie.gif
Ive been candleing<sp> every day!! :fltoday is day 11
smile.png
There is movement in three of them.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
. I may candle again tomorrow, or wait til Saturday. thumbsup Im sure the other egg is developing as it looks like the other three. So far so good.
barnie.gif

Rammy

Quote:
Some people feel that if you candle too early it can disturb the developing embryo. So some people choose to candle once around Day 7-10 and again at Day 14 to get rid of the bad eggs before lock down. Others candle every day.

It's kinda like the hatching in egg cartons or not beliefs. Some swear by it and others don't.

I snuck a peek at 1 egg and it had veining, but I'm waiting to candle them all until somewhere in the Day 7-10 range.

Quote:
Me too! I am pretty happy with that! I sure am glad I have you all to hatch with me!

I'm glad I have ya'll as well-ya'll are my "hatching support group".
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom