Set my very first eggs today (due March 24th) - need a hatching buddy!

Quote:
If you stare at them long enough, you'll swear they moved!
lau.gif
I know, I did it.

I'm not joking, the last 2 days I sat constantly by the bator. By the time they all hatched, I was sore from sitting on hardwood for 3+ days.

Believe me, new2chooks, I just KNOW I saw movement earlier, but of course, it was just my eyes crossing from staring into the window. I'm beginning to feel like a peeping Tom!
roll.png

OK this is the morning of day 20, and there is a PIP in one of the eggs
th.gif

The shell has been pushed out a bit, but I can see that the interior membrane is still intact.

No egg movement, no noises - and I've been watching this bugger for an hour!

Does this mean the baby is premature and has died?
hmm.png

Quote:
No, this just means the little chick is really tired and is resting. It can take up to 24hrs for them to fully hatch. Once you realize that then it makes it a little bit easier to sit and wait. My first hatch was a real pain because I thought they were all taking too long. This last hatch was much better. Good luck! Keep us posted
big_smile.png

Quote:
No, it takes forever for them to come out. It's just resting. It CAN take 24 hours from pip to hatch. Once they start zipping, it usually goes pretty quick.

Don't sit there and watching though, it will drive you crazy! Go run errands, clean your house, whatever!

Great minds think alike!
wink.png

Hey new2chooks, I've only hatched on the bottom of the incubator...I have one egg that has a air sac on the side of the egg. Would the egg carton help that one egg? or should I just lay it with the air sac up laying on it's side? How do you like the egg cartons?

This will be my first time hatching in egg cartons. I'm going to put them in with empty spaces between eggs. I cut paper egg cartons into sections of 6, then I spaced them in the bator, so I can see from the windows but still add water.

I have read that if you have a detatched air sac (it moves around like a bubble in a balloon when you candle) then you should hatch them upright and not laying on their side.

Back
Top Bottom