Set our second hatch Saturday 5/12/12

Wcstory--I am always looking for ways to spoil the chicks myself!! So what does your wife do???? I hope the dry incubation works--I am doing it right now so we will see. It is about killing me to not candle them all!! I admit I candled a few this morning. My bantam cochins were a blob still. I looked at one other--a white egg and it had an "eye".

I jumped on here to share that I did candle tonight. I had 4 out of 20 Salmon Faverolles that I pulled but all the others are doing something. My humidity was down to 30% so I figured if I had to open it to add some water, I'd take a quick peek too. Next time I'm going to rig a tube and syringe to add water tho.

I just went back and re-read that dry hatching link. I thought it said don't let it go below 30% with forced air, but it says 20%. Here's hoping I still have a decent hatch. I should have looked at the air sack more. Next week........ I only out a little water in there so hoping it won;t get too high.

I want to look at some of the others. I will probably candle tonight and then again on Monday--I just can't help myself!! It mores depends on if I have the time! I need to study the air cell pictures to see if mine are ok!

Saturday we set our second hatch. After having to constantly fuss with our Little Giant incubator to keep proper humidity we invested in a Hovabator Genesis1588. So far it looks like a great choice, the LG turner fit perfectly.

Bought some eggs from a BYC member Arielle. Got Black Copper Marans and some bonus Easter Egger Crosses.

Of course chicken math had to come into play so I also picked up a dozen Wyandotts to keep the other two dozen company for the next 21 days.

Had the incubator running for 2 days prior to picking up the eggs. The temp and humidity seemed too stable so I put a couple thermometers and a hygrometer in to check the GQF. They were close in went the eggs.

Three dozen set.

The 13 that hatched last weekend are down to 12 after we had to cull one. The 12 consist of 9 Cuckoo Marans and 3 Wyandotts and it looks like we will be roo heavy. Uggh!!

In 19-20 days it looks like last week's hatch will be moving from the family room brooder to the separate Juvenile Detention Facility in the Coop/Shed.

Are you planning on selling your LG? I'm looking for another, if priced right.

We didn't get time to candle the eggs this weekend. Was too busy working on the addition to the run area.

I'd probably sell the LG for 35 plus actual shipping.

Yup, I'd be interested. Does it have the fan?

Hoping to candle again this weekend!!!

Back
Top Bottom