Set our second hatch Saturday 5/12/12

Well I had 4 duds at my 7 day candling so I am down to 18. Two of the duds were my bantam cochin eggs which was a little sad because my boys were looking forward to the bantams. My friend who gave me the eggs said she would either give me some chicks or some more eggs. My boys just want the chicks but I am feeling determined to hatch them myself!! lol!! I am addicted!

I had 4 that were a no go on Day 7 as well. But it is almost time to candle again. Fingers crossed we both stay where we are at and don't lose any more. I have 2 incubators and just added 14 Light Brahmas yesterday to bator #2 and hoping for a shipped order of Dorking eggs to arrive in the next few days to add to that as well. That will be my first time with staggered hatches. My problem is storing eggs until I get enough to fill the incubator. Getting to hot to keep well. Busy day, then off to work. Will update when I get them candled this weekend.

OK so since I have a few days till I should candle again ... what will we be looking for in this candling? What should you expect to see in the egg at day 14? Do you just wait until day 18 before pulling anymore out just in case?

I candled Friday and I looked at air cells and if the chicks were bigger, consuming more space than last time but I'm as new as you are, lol. I saw one that looked a bit bloody and little to no movement in most of them but with 36 eggs, I candled them all quickly. I think I may have a few quitters as some are not as big as the others but I have 4 varieties of eggs in there all for different sized birds, well all standard sized but you know what I mean. I left them all in there and am locking down tomorrow, so it won't be long!!!!! Seems to have flown by, the next few days will drag tho, lol..

I candled Friday and I looked at air cells and if the chicks were bigger, consuming more space than last time but I'm as new as you are, lol. I saw one that looked a bit bloody and little to no movement in most of them but with 36 eggs, I candled them all quickly. I think I may have a few quitters as some are not as big as the others but I have 4 varieties of eggs in there all for different sized birds, well all standard sized but you know what I mean. I left them all in there and am locking down tomorrow, so it won't be long!!!!! Seems to have flown by, the next few days will drag tho, lol..
Wow you are already at lockdown?? I have to wait until Friday for mine. I know what you mean about little to no movement or some looking more bloody. I will probably keep all mine too though--jic!! So you have 36 going to lockdown? Are you using the egg carton method? You'll be having babies by the weekend!

I haven't candled at all. Most of my eggs are too dark for me to tell. I have to order ine if those cool bringht candlers.

Lockdown on Wed , my 36 will come out of their turner, I'll place them on paper towels on the wire and put the coffee cups with sponges in and also my live hatch cam in.

If anyone wants to check in the incubator cam is:

http://cam.wmstory.com:8084/index1.htm
ID - guest
PW - guest

or the main cam page

http://cam.wmstory.com:8083/index1.htm - the incubator is Cam 4. Right now it is outside looking in.
ID - chicken
PW - coop

Last edited:
I'm in lock down, Woooo Hooooo!! Not sure all my eggs are good but went in with 11 Light Brahmas (6 are spoken for already), 6 Easter eggers that belong to a friend, 16 Salmon Faverolles for me and 4 Dorkings I got by chance that I'm keeping too. Also have 8 Dorkings because 4 isn't enough and 28 Light Brahmas going mostly for sale. I think we are on day 5, not sure off the top of my head.

I did try the dry hatch and am nervous but eager to see the results. Still have tons to learn tho!

Bill, thank you so much for everything! And I can't wait to log on and look at your video!!!

I'm getting off of here, severe thunder and lightening, please pray we don't loss power!!!!! My bators are still trying to get up to temp from pulling turners and adding stuff for humidity. Thanks!!!!

Sooooooo, literally less than 2 minutes after I posted last night, I lost power for nearly 3 hrs. My temps got down to 85*. I'm going to be sooooooooo mad if I lost all these eggs, blah..... Humidity "said" it was still up but I'm finding that hard to believe. I stayed up til almost 1am making sure we got them back where they needed to be. Any thoughts on what to expect? I immediately cover the bators in towels but it is cold and raw here in Maine still and the storm knocked our heat out too so they did drop quite a bit. 80* today but it was 50* this morning, ya gotta love Maine.

Also the storm took out my internet, we are being told it could be days before it is restored, even BIGGER BLAH!!!!
Luckily we have internet at work but really not supposed to be on here so, peace out all. I will try to sneak on over the weekend and update on if/what we get to hatch.

Good luck Bill, hope you have a happy, healthy hatch!!!!!

Becky

I would think with the quick covering of the incubators you didn't loose that much temps at the core where it matters.

Fingers crossed for ya.

Keep an eye out for a computer Uninterruptable Power Supply or UPS. Most businesses use them on their individual computers to prevent data loss with power outages. Even old ones can hold a bator for a hour or so.

Back
Top Bottom