Settin chicken eggs tonight! 8-4-11

Quote:
the BFF that doesn't have chickens (yet)
smack.gif
(ps lucyboo your the blue lol
gig.gif
) jk love the pics the baby chickens look bigger then when u got them.

you said that you WERE NOT going to get them!!!!! well atleast that is what you said last time we talked!!! lol and yes they have gotten bigger!!! Nugget has feathers growing down her legs!!

KDailey: what does that mean if a chicken has feathers growing down their legs??

<3 kelsey

awe she is all grown up :.) lol hahaha

Lock down is the 22nd and hatch day is 25th for me as well.

I have a few questions. My babies are bouncing around in the eggs, is that normal.. The BO babies, kind of just float around liesurely, but this one banty baby, he is a live wire! He zigs and zags, and Tigger bounces, swirls and twirls.. I am hoping that he is just a lively thriving survivor, and that nothing is wrong. I mean, this is my first time, hatching, so I dont know what to expect or what to look for in some cases. The only other animal in fluid I have seen act like that is a fish in a bowl, and its when something is wrong, like lack of oxygen etc.

Also, I know I have asked before about the survival rates and likelyhood that a slightly cracked egg can produce a healthy chick. I had two EE eggs I found to be cracked a week ago,but left them in just to see what would happen, fully expecting by now to have smelly bad eggs to throw out. They are active as well, and are as far along as the others (when I can see them) It is kind of har to see into the shells. But as of Yesterday, they were still moving around.

Has ANYONE had or know of/heard of someone able to hatch a healthy chick from a damaged egg?

Last edited:
I candled again today. So far I have 12 guineas veining and movement and 4 cochins veining and movement.
smile.png
Threw out 8 guinea eggs that still had no veining.
sad.png

So 16 excellent and 8 Bad. My cochins go into lockdown on the 23rd.
pop.gif

Good Luck everyone.
fl.gif

MommaBug: I'm pretty sure moving around is good. My ducks I hatched last month moved around when I candled them and I had 10 hatch. And the eggs I'm hatching now I can see moving around inside. Prob just like a baby moving in a mommys tummy.

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking.. It is so comical.. It has been acting this way since I could see it around day 7.. So I would think if something was wrong, it would be obvious by now. I have to keep myself from candeling everyday, just to watch the show. I just know that this is going to be one I get attached to it, so I hope its not a roo, we have vowed not to keep ANY roos from this batch!

ok so today was a good day but also VERY sad!!! the good news is we have a chick in an egg that has completely filled the egg!!! is that nomal?? and does it mean it will hatch soon?? also the bad news is that an egg got crushed and it was on day 13
sad.png
but its ok because my parents and i think it was dead already because it didnt grow alot the past 10 days!! but still sad!! has anyone hatched eggs yet in this batch??

<3 kelsey

Quote:
Sorry about the accident
sad.png
good luck on the rest of your hatch though.

Nothing new to report here. It is day 14 for me, and I have not candled yet, but I am about to, and I will report back.

As of yesterday though, all was looking good for most my eggs, but I am not pulling ANY out until a week after hatch date just to be sure I gave everyone a chance. I love these babies already!

Last edited:
I am on day 17! I will candle tomorrow and begin lockdown! I am having some last minute problems with the temperature! I got up this morning and it went down to 97 degrees! I'm just hoping everything goes smoothly these last few days! I started with 14 eggs and now down to 10!

Back
Top Bottom