Setting 4/8 and 4/9! - Hatch-Along

Shoot, I just candled. Two possible blood rings and two possible quitters. I'm already going to have to toss one; it hasn't developed beyond shadows and has a day 18 size air cell.
hit.gif
That's the egg of one of my deceased birds too
sad.png
*sigh* Oh well, at least this hatch isn't a complete disaster. Other than those 5 they've got good air cells and veins.

Last edited:
How soon do you candle your eggs? I have heard several different things from people.

First time I candled every day, second time every other day. I reverted back to candling every day, because I can't resist (AND I don't have a grumpy broody to worry about, lol!), but I'm going to start candling only on day 7, possibly 10, 14, and possibly 17.

Shoot, I just candled. Two possible blood rings and two possible quitters. I'm already going to have to toss one; it hasn't developed beyond shadows and has a day 18 size air cell.
hit.gif
That's the egg of one of my deceased birds too
sad.png
*sigh* Oh well, at least this hatch isn't a complete disaster. Other than those 5 they've got good air cells and veins.
Ohhh....I'm sorry that the egg of your deceased bird isn't developing. :( I think I will candle mine this evening. It will be my first time....so I will probably have to do this a few times before I really learn what to look for.

I set 21 of my Silkies eggs in my incubator on the 9th :)
I'm REALLY trying to wait until tomorrow evening to candle them!

I also set 9 more eggs under a broody Silkie the day before yesterday. :fl for a decent hatch!

Last edited:
Candled last night. As I said before this is my first time incubating...and seeing those little heartbeats was soooo exciting!
big_smile.png
I don't know if I can stand the wait. I am getting impatient to see my first babies.

I'm addicted! Just went and picked up another incubator and set 41 more eggs! French black coppler marans, gold and silver sebrights, mille fleur d'uccle, and japanese bantam.

XD I'm an addict too! I'm not allowed to set any more, though :( I sneaked 4 a few days ago; I was originally only supposed to be hatching like 6 XD Now it's like twelve :p I'm gonna use a stethoscope on the eggs tonight when I check humidity and candle!!!

I think I've found myself in a bind. im new to incubating and first bought a Styrofoam 48egg forced air turner the works. filled it up and then i came across a sportsmen cabinet incubator with turner. i filled up the top tray (2 racks) with eggs i ordered online. this was on sat the 6th then on sun i put in half tray (1 rack) 48 more eggs. then i came across a deal on some eggs on breeds i wanted ( meaning free) and i couldn't see eating them. lol anyways that following 13th i filled it up. sounds good huh. well in the meantime my Styrofoam hatches out 44 of 48 btw lol. problem is when the first shelf comes time to lock down id have to turn the turner off on all of them. i should have never set eggs on three different days. the eggs set on the 6&7 i can just wait one more day to lock down. but the eggs set on the 13th will not have the turner. turn them by hand you say lol but if half the eggs are hatching and on lockdown i can't be opening and closing the door to turn eggs id loose all the humidity the eggs hatching would need. then i was thinking of making a makeshift hatcher/brooder out of a xlg rubbermaid tote and a heat lamp. i think i could hold temp or come close but was hoping someone in here might have an idea. HELP PLEASE CAUSE I HAVE 6 DOZeggs waiting that I've over ordered thinking i would come up with something keep in mind i have the Styrofoam empty. any ideas. im really worried about the eggs already in there. any help would be great

I would use the styrofoam as a hatcher if there is enough room for all the eggs that need to go on lock down at the same time. Without the turner it should hold quite a few eggs for hatchin purposes.

Well, day 16...almost time for LOCKDOWN! I can't wait!
barnie.gif
Candled last night and no quitters...gosh I hope all the little guys come out, but I know that's highly unlikely. I am very pleased with our first hatch attempt so far, though! BTW...candling copper maran eggs is HARD!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom