Setting duck eggs on Saturday, 8/18 - Anyone wanna join? (Set by next Saturday for chicken eggs)

So now that I have fuzzy butts and they are in the brooder I'm giving them medicated chick starter and water. Do I need to give them sand or some sort of grit?

I usually put the chicks on puppy wee-wee pads or paper towels then sprinkle grit and food on the paper towels for the first few days. When I give the chicks grit right off the bat I don't have any pasty butts, if I forget the grit then I will have a few.

Well I have 4 pips and the first chick is about to hatch. I am dying to know how the other eggs are doing. Two of the first four pipped at the wrong end, one of those is the one hatching.

Congratulations to everyone for the chicks that have already hatched!

I usually put the chicks on puppy wee-wee pads or paper towels then sprinkle grit and food on the paper towels for the first few days. When I give the chicks grit right off the bat I don't have any pasty butts, if I forget the grit then I will have a few.

Well I have 4 pips and the first chick is about to hatch. I am dying to know how the other eggs are doing. Two of the first four pipped at the wrong end, one of those is the one hatching.

Do you buy grit or just go out and fine some?

Quail Hatch Update:

16 Brown James Marie Pharaoh and 7 White Texas A&M. Lost one Pharaoh, found it dead in brooder. Not sure what happened as it was 24 hours old already and looked really healthy. Lost 2 Texas A&M that pipped but died in shell. One more pipped now and another egg still rockin. Hope the rest hatch.
fl.gif

I usually  put the chicks on puppy wee-wee pads or paper towels then sprinkle grit and food on the paper towels for the first few days.  When I give the chicks grit right off the bat I don't have any pasty butts, if I forget the grit then I will have a few.  

Well I have 4 pips and the first chick is about to hatch.  I am dying to know how the other eggs are doing. Two of the first four pipped at the wrong end, one of those is the one hatching.  

Do you buy grit or just go out and fine some?

I got the little chick sized grit at TSC for my first babies and it worked out well. Does your little chick still have funky feet? If so what you do is you cut a piece of cardboard big enough to just fit her entire foot, and then you tape the toes down to it in the right position using a band-aide.

Belinda, congrats! And sorry about your losses :(

My silkies go into lockdown on Sunday! I can't wait to have tiny silkie chicks!

Last edited:
Freakin' Bator!!!! Cooked my eggs!!!!!  Ive had it with that thing!! Getting a digital rheostat for it!! Stupid wafer wont work. It screws up the end of the second week every time.

Don't give up on them yet! My first bator tried to cook my eggs...twice! It got as high as 117 and I only lost three eggs when I did candling. Did you candle to assess your losses? I'm really sorry, I was so disappointed when my bator did the same thing :hugs

Well things are going, ok right now, I have two chicks hatched and five more eggs have pipped. I have one more that I think is doing well, and five others I am feeling dubious about. I won't worry about them until after the 4H poultry, dog and rabbit show tomorrow. Both kids are entered, it is going to be a zoo. I hope they have fun. I will check in again tomorrow night. I wish you all happy hatching until then.

Yo burrill, I hope you didn't lose them all.
fl.gif
Sorry you had some trouble.
sad.png

Well things are going, ok right now, I have two chicks hatched and five more eggs have pipped. I have one more that I think is doing well, and five others I am feeling dubious about. I won't worry about them until after the 4H poultry, dog and rabbit show tomorrow. Both kids are entered, it is going to be a zoo. I hope they have fun. I will check in again tomorrow night. I wish you all happy hatching until then.

Yo burrill, I hope you didn't lose them all.
fl.gif
Sorry you had some trouble.
sad.png
Congrats on your hatches!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom